- The Detroit Lions promoted wide receiver Jace Billingsley to the active roster toward the end of the season, usually a sign that they don’t want him poached from another team. This could mean the Lions foresee a future for Billingsley, which was corroborated by the Detroit Free Press’ Dave Birkett in his weekly chat last week:
More @davebirkett on Jace Billingsley:https://t.co/i3KIRT4k9r pic.twitter.com/CVOCyQcSKl— Maeby (@seenable) January 13, 2017
- Over the weekend, the Detroit Lions handed out several team awards as voted on by the players. Don Carey won the Spirit Award, Glover Quin earned the Leadership Award and Taylor Decker was named Rookie of the Year.
- During his press conference last week, Bob Quinn expressed regret in proclaiming a zero tolerance policy regarding domestic abuse and/or weapon offenses.
- Though the Lions were one of the worst teams in third down efficiency on third-and-medium on offense, they were the best in the league at third-and-long:
Cooter got a lot of flak for his 3rd & long play calling- #Lions were best in the league in 3rd & 10+ yds conversion rate: 33.9%. #OnePride pic.twitter.com/mz4e0WAccV— Logan Lamorandier (@LLamorandier) January 12, 2017
- Ameer Abdullah was at Joe Louis Arena to watch the Red Wings defeat the Penguins 6-3. He also got the opportunity to do a jersey swap with left winger—and fellow wearer of the No. 21—Tomas Tatar:
.@Ameerguapo and @Trto90 swap 21's. #LGRW #OnePride pic.twitter.com/RkHjPdOxI0— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) January 15, 2017
- Don Carey was the best gunner in the NFL according to Pro Football Focus.
- For those still holding out hope to see one of the New England Patriots coordinators land in Detroit, looks like it could happen... next year:
Huge news - Josh McDaniels very unlikely to take the 49ers job. Set to bow out from consideration and remain with the Patriots— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) January 16, 2017