- According to OverTheCap.com, the Detroit Lions aren’t likely to earn any compensatory draft picks in the 2017 NFL Draft. Compensatory picks are calculated based on lost free agents from the previous year.
- Teryl Austin’s interview with the San Diego Chargers is apparently scheduled for Tuesday.
I'm told Teryl Austin is scheduled to interview with the #Chargers on Tuesday for their head coaching vacancy, per source.— Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) January 9, 2017
- Former director of officiating, Mike Periera, was not a fan of the officiating in the Lions-Seahawks game:
- Is this the definition of mediocrity or something more? You decide:
#Lions record over past 3 years by opponent's record:— Pride Of Detroit (@PrideOfDetroit) January 9, 2017
0-5 wins: 8-2
6-9 wins: 17-5
10-16 wins: 2-14
- Several Lions players took the opportunity on social media to say their farewell to the 2016 season and offer hope for the future:
Thank u to everyone who helped make this season one to remember. Only 1 team finishes satisfied. Proud of the team and how we fought all yr!— Sam (@SamMartin_6) January 9, 2017
Even though it didn't end the way we wanted, I want to thank the fans for a great rookie year. Looking forward to next year! #OnePride— Graham Glasgow (@gglasgow61) January 9, 2017
Incredibly thankful for the people that have been put in my life to help me get to where I am today. It's been a pretty crazy year, with unexpected ups and downs. Even though it did not end the way we wanted it to, I am extremely thankful for the lessons I've learned along the way. Pretty excited for what this next year has in store not only on the field, but off of it as well.
- Matthew Stafford and the Lions have not entered contract extension negotiations yet.
- The Lions could use an upgrade on defense:
Tahir Whitehead was the NFL's second-worst linebacker, per PFF, and Devin Taylor was the second-worst edge defender. Both started 16 games.— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) January 9, 2017