We spoke with Bradley Smith on the latest episode of First Byte, but now it’s time ya’ll get to know the Panthers some more. Bradley was kind enough to come back and pump out a quick five questions with us. Enjoy.
1. Cam Newton? Cam Newton. Cam Newton? Cam Newton! Cam? Newton????
I was incredibly disappointed in his comments but am happy that he finally apologized for them and seemed sincere in said apology.
2. Okay, Cam Newton. But really, what do his weapons look like? Who should the Lions be prioritizing in coverage?
Kelvin Benjamin is his primary receiver, and Christian McCaffrey is becoming a favorite target of his out of the backfield. Also look out for Devin Funchess, who has stepped up nicely since Greg Olsen went down with a broken foot a few weeks ago.
3. Beating the Patriots is big, but with a tough NFC South and the reigning NFC Champion squatting there, what's a playoff path for the Panthers look like this year? Who has to step up to make it to the big time?
The Panthers will need to win at least 10 games to sneak into a wild card spot, and I believe 10 wins would place them 2nd in the NFC South. To win the division they're going to have to win 11-12 games, and that may not even be enough given how tough the division is this year.
4. What has Julius Peppers brought to Carolina's defense?
Peppers has brought a dominating presence to the pass rush for the Panthers that they have sorely needed. He's currently on pace for 18 sacks this year, and I feel that now is a good time to remind everyone that Julius Peppers is 37 years old.
5. Ok listen, it's "Carolina" even though it's Charlotte and all. Either way, you speak for both. I decided that, it's law now. Answer it once and for all. Mustard or vinegar? I can't remember if I've asked you this before.
The correct answer to the 'mustard or vinegar' question is yes. They're both good in their own unique way. If I had to choose one over the other I'd pick mustard, but don't tell my family because they may disown me. But for real though, can I have both? I'd like to have both.