- On Wednesday, the Detroit Lions announced they will be releasing new uniforms in April. One possible reason for that: There were zero Lions players who made the top 50 in jersey sales from March through November, according to the NFLPA.
- Tahir Whitehead made Football Outsiders’ “All-Keep Choppin’ Wood” team, which is a dubious honor awarded to players “who did the most to help their teams lose games.” Here’s what they had to say about Whitehead:
Whitehead was terrible attempting to cover running backs down the field, and he's a big reason why the Lions had a 34.2% DVOA trying to cover running backs in the passing game. Whitehead also allowed 13 broken tackles and had a broken tackle rate of 12.6 percent -- not good at all. Too many missed tackles, too many times where he was simply outplayed.
- Supporting Football Outsiders’ case is the following from Tim Twentyman:
As @ttwentyman pointed out just now, Lions linebackers had no sacks, interceptions or forced fumbles in 17 games this year. That's crazy.— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) February 2, 2017
- This is hilarious. Make sure you watch the entire thing by clicking the link:
Watch #Lions players try to identify their teammates' baby photos: https://t.co/Vji2672uzE pic.twitter.com/QkRAwnZUo8— Detroit Lions (@Lions) February 2, 2017
- Sam Martin thinks that Matt Prater could kick a 70-yard field goal in game. Last week, Prater nailed a 76-yarder off a tee during Pro Bowl practice.
- Speaking of Prater, he was one of 14 NFL players at the Pro Bowl to publicly tell Outsports.com that he would be comfortable with a gay player as a teammate.
- Patriots coach Bill Belichick loves him some Bob Quinn:
Bill Belichick on Bob Quinn: "I can't say enough good things about Bob. What he did for our organization and what he did for me personally."— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) February 1, 2017
"He always gave a good, honest opinion. Wasn't always something we agreed on. Quite often he was right in his opinion."— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) February 1, 2017
Got 2 minute answer from Belichick when I asked about Quinn. Really respects job Quinn did in NE. Quinn was valuable resource to Belichick— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) February 1, 2017
- The Patriots and Raiders will face off on Monday Night Football from Mexico City in 2017.