- The Detroit Lions have $34,417,652 in cap room according to Dave Birkett, who has a thorough breakdown of every dollar spent against the cap for the 2017 season.
- Speaking of Birkett, the Lions beat writer was awarded the Associated Press Sports Editor Beat Writing award. He was one of 10 beat writers across the nation in the circulations of over 175,000 category:
- Michigan running back De’Veon Smith is writing a diary for the Detroit Free Press, detailing his route to the NFL Draft. His most recent post is all about preparing for the NFL Combine this week.
- Pro Football Focus listed the best quarterbacks for each wide receiver route. Matthew Stafford got an honorable mention for his 132.6 passer rating on double-move routes.
- The Chicago Bears will reportedly not use the franchise tag on Alshon Jeffery, nearly guaranteeing he will hit free agency:
#Bears are not expected to franchise Alshon Jeffery again at > $17M, sources say. A top WR on the market will generate lots of buzz in Indy— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 27, 2017
- Over the weekend, Ameer Abdullah attended a gala for the Team Jack Foundation, a charity that seeks to find the cure for pediatric brain cancer. There he met Chiefs safety—and pending free agent—Eric Berry, who fought through cancer himself:
- Birkett believes Riley Reiff has every reason to test free agency and take a crack at left tackle money.