The final mock drafts are coming in, and one of the most anticipated every year is that of NFL Network’s Mike Mayock. Year after year, Mayock’s mock drafts turn out to be one of the most accurate among a sea of guessers.
Wednesday night, Mayock released his picks for the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft one-by-one. When the Detroit Lions were on the clock, here was the board he was facing:
- Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
- San Francisco 49ers - Jamal Adams, S, LSU
- Chicago Bears - Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
- Jacksonville Jaguars - Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
- Cleveland Browns - Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina (Trade with Tennessee Titans)
- New York Jets - O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
- Los Angeles Chargers - Solomon Thomas, DE Stanford
- Carolina Panthers - Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
- Cincinnati Bengals - Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama
- Buffalo Bills - Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
- New Orleans Saints - Charles Harris, Edge, Missouri
- Tennessee Titans - John Ross, WR, Washington
- Arizona Cardinals - Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
- Philadelphia Eagles - Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
- Indianapolis Colts - Derek Barnett, Edge, Tennessee
- Baltimore Ravens - Haason Reddick, LB, Temple
- Washington Redskins - Takkarist McKinley, LB, UCLA
- Tennessee Titans - Adoree’ Jackson, CB, USC
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
- Denver Broncos - Ryan Ramczyk, LT, Wisconsin
With the 21st overall pick, Mayock slotted wide receiver Corey Davis to the Lions.
Western Michigan ➡️ @Lions— NFL Network (@nflnetwork) April 27, 2017
Corey Davis is the 3rd WR off the board#MayockMock pic.twitter.com/pLEkIcNvsl
Though Mayock had Davis as the third receiver off the board, some see him as the best receiver in the draft. In last week’s dueling mock drafts between Mel Kiper and Todd McShay (insider required), Davis went well before the Lions’ pick, at 13 overall to the Cardinals. Our own Alex Reno has Corey Davis as his No. 6 overall prospect on his big board.
But Mayock has concerns about Davis’ ankle, which underwent surgery a few months ago. “Corey Davis hasn't been able to work out because of his ankle. And there are some concerns about the ankle,” Mayock said in his media conference last last week.
Some big names that Mayock glossed over for the Lions pick include defensive end Taco Charlton, safety Obi Melifonwu and linebacker Jarrad Davis.
Do you approve of Mike Mayock’s pick for the Lions?
This poll is closed
Our friends at Revenge of the Birds have the entire first-round results here.