After trading down with the New England Patriots, the Lions have made their third-round selection. With the 96th overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions have selected wide receiver Kenny Golladay from Northern Illinois in the third round.
Detroit had a pretty big need for a receiver with Anquan Boldin still undecided on what team he’ll return to in 2017. They knew this, scheduling several pre-draft meetings with wide receiver prospects.
One of those receivers was Golladay, who according to Dave Birkett visited with the Lions in early April.
Golladay turned a lot of heads with his impressive NFL Combine performance. Despite a huge frame—6-foot-4, 218 pounds—Golladay clocked in with an impressive 4.5 40-yard dash.
Kenny Golladay #RAS https://t.co/kHS0NWik7X pic.twitter.com/Xwk32SXM8y— Kent Lee Platte (@MathBomb) April 25, 2017
His size and athleticism makes him a wide target for Matthew Stafford, but Golladay still has room to grow as a route runner.
Here are some highlights of Golladay, who will immediately come in and compete with the likes of TJ Jones, Jace Billingsley and recently-signed Keshawn Martin:
Lions 2017 draft picks:
- Round 1, Pick 21 (21 overall): LB Jarrad Davis, Florida
- Round 2, Pick 21 (53 overall): CB Teez Tabor, Florida
- Round 3, Pick 32 (96 overall): WR Kenny Golladay, Northern Illinois
Lions remaining picks
- Round 4, Pick 16 (124 overall)
- Round 4, Pick 20 (128 overall)
- Round 5, Pick 21 (165 overall)
- Round 6, Pick 21 (205 overall)
- Round 6, Pick 31 (215 overall) - Via Patriots from Kyle Van Noy Trade
- Round 7, Pick 32 (250 overall) - Via Patriots from Michael Williams Trade
Top remaining needs for Lions:
- Defensive end
- Defensive tackle
- Running back
- Tight end
- Free safety
NFL Draft schedule
What: Rounds 4-7 of the NFL Draft
When: Saturday, April 29, Noon ET
Where: Philadelphia, PA
TV: NFL Network, ESPN
Time per pick: Rounds 4-6: 5 minutes; Round 7: 4 minutes
Estimated time of Lions picks:
- Pick 128 overall: 1:35 p.m. ET
- Pick 165 overall: 3:15 p.m. ET
- Pick 205 overall: 4:55 p.m. ET
- Pick 215 overall: 5:15 p.m. ET
- Pick 250 overall: 6:30 p.m. ET
Grade the Lions third-round draft pick
This poll is closed