Reeves-Maybin is an interesting pick for Detroit. When paired with first-round pick Jarrad Davis, the Lions now have a heavily upgraded linebacker corps, despite coming into the draft with serious problem.
For an NFL linebacker, Reeves-Maybin is undersized. At 6-foot, 230 pounds, he’s most successful when able to run free and use his speed (4.68 40-time at a workout). At Tennessee, Reeves-Maybin had over 100 tackles and 11 tackles for loss in two consecutive seasons.
However, injury is a major concern. Reeves-Maybin had shoulder surgery in 2016 and missed nearly the entire season.
With Detroit, Reeves-Maybin provides immediate special teams value and could be good depth beyond the Lions’ starters at linebacker.
Brett Kollmann of Battle Red Blog is a big fan of the pick:
#Lions just took their future DeAndre Levy in Jalen Reeves-Maybin. Electric defender in pursuit and in space. Injury dropped him 2 rounds.— Brett Kollmann (@BrettKollmann) April 29, 2017
What do you think? Vote in the poll below.
Lions 2017 draft picks:
- Round 1, Pick 21 (21 overall): LB Jarrad Davis, Florida
- Round 2, Pick 21 (53 overall): CB Teez Tabor, Florida
- Round 3, Pick 32 (96 overall): WR Kenny Golladay, Northern Illinois
- Round 4, Pick 16 (124 overall) LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Tennessee
Lions remaining picks
- Round 4, Pick 20 (128 overall)
- Round 5, Pick 21 (165 overall)
- Round 6, Pick 21 (205 overall)
- Round 6, Pick 31 (215 overall) - Via Patriots from Kyle Van Noy Trade
- Round 7, Pick 32 (250 overall) - Via Patriots from Michael Williams Trade
Top remaining needs for Lions:
- Defensive end
- Defensive tackle
- Running back
- Tight end
- Free safety
NFL Draft schedule
What: Rounds 4-7 of the NFL Draft
When: Saturday, April 29, Noon ET
Where: Philadelphia, PA
TV: NFL Network, ESPN
Time per pick: Rounds 4-6: 5 minutes; Round 7: 4 minutes
Estimated time of Lions picks:
- Pick 165 overall: 3:15 p.m. ET
- Pick 205 overall: 4:55 p.m. ET
- Pick 215 overall: 5:15 p.m. ET
- Pick 250 overall: 6:30 p.m. ET
Grade the Lions' first pick of the fourth round
This poll is closed