Just a day after adding Teez Tabor in the second round, the Lions decided to add more secondary depth in the fifth.
Agnew is a premier athlete, having run a blazing 4.34 40-yard dash. That doesn’t come as much of a surprise considering Agnew has a background in track and field—and he was once a 100-meter champion as a senior at Point Loma High School in San Diego.
At USD, Agnew was a stellar cornerback. He holds the school’s record for 37 pass breakups as a four-year starter.
Detroit kept their eye on Agnew from the start. According to Hero Sports, the Lions were one of the teams that kept in contact with Agnew throughout the draft process:
Agnew said the New York Jets, the Tennessee Titans and the Detroit Lions have been in contact the most, and he's been in Detroit and visited the Cincinnati Bengals. He also has been in contact with the Philadelphia Eagles and the San Diego Chargers.
Agnew projects to be a slot corner in the NFL, where he’ll compete with Quandre Diggs and D.J. Hayden in Detroit. He’s unlikely to win over the job in his rookie year, but his speed could make him a contributor on special teams in 2017.
Lions 2017 draft picks:
- Round 1, Pick 21 (21 overall): LB Jarrad Davis, Florida
- Round 2, Pick 21 (53 overall): CB Teez Tabor, Florida
- Round 3, Pick 32 (96 overall): WR Kenny Golladay, Northern Illinois
- Round 4, Pick 16 (124 overall): LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Tennessee
- Round 4, Pick 20 (128 overall): TE Michael Roberts, Toledo
- Round 5, Pick 21 (165 overall): CB Jamal Agnew, San Diego
Lions remaining picks
- Round 6, Pick 21 (205 overall)
- Round 6, Pick 31 (215 overall) - Via Patriots from Kyle Van Noy Trade
- Round 7, Pick 32 (250 overall) - Via Patriots from Michael Williams Trade
Top remaining needs for Lions:
- Defensive end
- Defensive tackle
- Running back
Cornerback Tight end
- Free safety
NFL Draft schedule
What: Rounds 4-7 of the NFL Draft
When: Saturday, April 29, Noon ET
Where: Philadelphia, PA
TV: NFL Network, ESPN
Time per pick: Rounds 4-6: 5 minutes; Round 7: 4 minutes
Estimated time of Lions picks:
- Pick 205 overall: 4:55 p.m. ET
- Pick 215 overall: 5:15 p.m. ET
- Pick 250 overall: 6:30 p.m. ET
Grade the Lions’ fifth-round pick
This poll is closed