O’Connor is a local prospect out of Eastern Michigan. He participated in Michigan’s and the Lions’ local workout. There Bob Quinn and the Lions front office got an up-close look at the kind of athleticism that O’Connor can bring. O’Connor measures in at 6-foot-4, 270 pounds and reportedly ran a 4.9 40-yard dash during his junior year.
O’Connor played four seasons at Eastern Michigan, culminating in an impressive senior season in which he totaled 14.5 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks. In 2015, he suffered a shoulder injury that had him miss the entire season, but he came back and had his best season ever to finish his collegiate career.
He is also a high character player, having been a three-time captain at EMU. He was also a two-time, first-team all-MAC team pick.
For the Lions, he will compete for a roster spot among the Lions defensive end depth against players like 2016 sixth-round pick Anthony Zettel.
Lions 2017 draft picks:
- Round 1, Pick 21 (21 overall): LB Jarrad Davis, Florida
- Round 2, Pick 21 (53 overall): CB Teez Tabor, Florida
- Round 3, Pick 32 (96 overall): WR Kenny Golladay, Northern Illinois
- Round 4, Pick 16 (124 overall): LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Tennessee
- Round 4, Pick 20 (128 overall): TE Michael Roberts, Toledo
- Round 5, Pick 21 (165 overall): CB Jamal Agnew, San Diego
- Round 6, Pick 21 (205 overall): DT Jeremiah Ledbetter, Arkansas
- Round 6, Pick 31 (215 overall): QB Brad Kaaya, Miami
- Round 7, Pick 32 (250 overall): DE Pat O’Connor, Eastern Michigan
Top remaining needs Lions could address with UDFAs:
Linebacker Defensive end Defensive tackle Wide receiver
- Running back
Cornerback Tight end
- Free safety
Grade the Lions’ selection in the seventh round
This poll is closed