- Late Thursday afternoon, the Detroit Lions placed tight end Kennard Backman and wide receiver Andrew Turzilli on waivers.
Backman had spent time with Green Bay’s practice squad before ending up on New England’s PS last season. In December, Backman signed with the Lions practice team.
Turzilli was an undrafted free agent out of Rutgers who signed a deal with the Tennessee Titans, and also spent time the 49ers between stints in Tennessee. Along with Backman, Turzilli ending up joining Detroit’s practice squad in December of 2016.
- Lions great Yale Lary passed away Friday morning at the age of 86. Part of three championship teams with the Lions in ‘52, ‘53 and ‘57, Lary was a key component of the Lions defensive backfield. He was named to All-NFL teams in five of his 11 seasons, and was a member of the NFL's All-Decade Team of the 1950s.
- On the heels of rookie camp starting, the Lions made some new assignments within their scouting department on Friday morning. Our own Andrew Kato will put these signings and promotions in perspective later on Friday here at Pride Of Detroit.
- Tom Brady was announced as the cover athlete for Madden NFL 18. That’s cool and all, but might I remind you of the team whose athletes have graced the cover of Madden the most times?
Fun fact: Lions players have been featured on the cover of Madden more times than Patriots' players--Sanders twice ('00, '14), CJ in '13. https://t.co/QJsE5oZ0kt— Pride Of Detroit (@PrideOfDetroit) May 12, 2017
Detroit was also the first team to ever have back-to-back appearances—the Patriots became the second team with Rob Gronkowski and Brady making the cover in ‘17 and ‘18 respectively.
- One year ago yesterday, these were the top 25 prospects according to Mel Kiper Jr.:
The Lions came away with three of the top 25 in the 2017 NFL Draft: Jarrad Davis, Jalen Tabor and Brad Kaaya.
- Rookie minicamp starts today, and Matt Asiata is still expected to be a participant per Dave Birkett.