- A few days ago, we pointed out how Stephen Tulloch joined several other NFL players, past and present, to help build homes and schools in Haiti. It appears, Tulloch is far from done with his philanthropic efforts. Tulloch is now in Jamaica working with the charity Helping Hands in Jamaica to help build schools for children in need:
In his retirement press conference from April, Tulloch emphasized how much more to life there is than his playing career. “It’s not all about the accolades and your statistics, it’s about the impact you have on people’s lives,” Tulloch said.
- Speaking of Detroit Lions linebackers, rookies Jarrad Davis and Jalen Reeves-Maybin are impressing the team’s veteran linebackers.
- Lions rookies have stayed around Detroit for an extra week as part of the Lions’ rookie transition program. One perk for the players was to visit United Sound, what many consider to be the birthplace of Motown Music. Rookie receiver Dontez Ford laid down a few lines at the historic studio:
- Former Lions defensive tackle Tyrunn Walker was released from the Rams on Thursday following a sexual assault investigation surrounding Walker which involves an unconscious woman .
- Happy Birthday to former Lions fullback, and facemask destroyer, Cory Schlesinger:
RT to wish former Lion, Cory Schlesinger, a Happy Birthday! pic.twitter.com/RYX3F3nSjP— Detroit Lions (@Lions) June 23, 2017
- Calvin Johnson had the fourth-best season for a wide receiver of the past 30 years, according to Football Outsiders (ESPN Insider required). His 2011 season, where he pulled in 96 catches for 1,680 yards and 16 touchdowns, wasn’t even his best statistical season, but because he did it on fewer targets, it was considered more impressive by Football Outsiders’ metrics.
Interestingly enough, no Barry Sanders season landed in the top 10 among running back performances in the past 30 years. UPDATE: Apparently, Sanders landed just inside the top 20:
1990 Barry Sanders ranks No. 19 among RB. He was 1st in run value, 2nd in rec value that year. 1997 is also in the top 30.— Aaron Schatz (@FO_ASchatz) June 23, 2017
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press gives his opinion on whether Matthew Stafford deserves the big contract that is likely coming his way.