- Deadspin’s Lauren Theisen believes now that Matthew Stafford has the highest contract in NFL history, it’s now or never for the Detroit Lions quarterback.
- I can’t believe I’m doing this, but FOX Sports’ Colin Cowherd believes that Stafford is worth every penny that the Lions give him:
Matthew Stafford is worth every dollar the Lions pay him pic.twitter.com/b4ClBUWmrX— Herd w/Colin Cowherd (@TheHerd) August 29, 2017
- The team at Yahoo! Sports blog Shutdown Corner gave all of their collective thoughts on the Stafford deal, ranging from “there’s no chance the Lions are better off without Stafford” to “this kind of deal will make it difficult for the Lions to build a true contender around Stafford.”
- Our virtual friends at Good Morning Football shared their opinions on the matter. Peter Schrager called it a “hometown discount” compared to what Stafford would have seen on the free agency market:
- MLive’s Kyle Meinke brought up a really good point about a hidden benefit for the Lions in Stafford’s deal: His ability to recruit more free agents to Detroit.
- To all of those saying that Stafford cannot carry the team or take it to the next level, I present the following information:
He had 30th ranked rushing attack and worst defense by DVOA and set the record for comeback wins. The "can't carry team" narrative is false. https://t.co/Xt5DlSMad8— Brandon Alisoglu (@BrandonAlisoglu) August 30, 2017
This tells a story no one is telling. DET had the 5th most yards per drive while having the 30th ranked starting field position. pic.twitter.com/nuQP0JtmAL— Alex Bisel (@alexbisel) August 30, 2017
- Former NFL quarterback Brady Quinn, who saw first hand the Rise of Matthew Stafford, believes his new contract is “a good deal for everyone involved.”
- For the occasion, the Detroit Lions put together a video of Stafford’s best Wired for Sound moments, and it is just as good as you think it will be:
- Alright, enough talk about Matthew Stafford. Let’s get to the real meat and potatoes of the Detroit Lions: Backup quarterback Jake Rudock! He’s killing it in the preseason: