- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press talked to several former NFL executives who, like the Detroit Lions, had to wait to hire their new head coach until they finished with the Super Bowl. They do a good job explaining the drawbacks of the wait, while also admitting that if you get the right guy, that’s all that really matters.
Particularly interesting, however, was what former Browns general manager Phil Savage said after having to wait for Romeo Crennel. “Like when you go through the interviews and all, and they’re like mapping out their staff, you never end up with all the guys they say they can get.”
- Last week, Drake dropped a new singled called “Diplomatic Immunity,” which features a couple bars referencing Barry Sanders:
Like Sanders on the Detroit Lions
Get a run around and I’ll bury you where they won’t find ya
This week, Barry took notice:
Wow... my kids are going to be impressed. Thanks for the shout out @Drake - We love the song.— Barry Sanders (@BarrySanders) January 23, 2018
- Chris Burke of The Athletic took a look at the upcoming defensive free agents with ties to Matt Patricia (subscription required). The list includes CB Malcolm Butler, LB Barkevious Mingo and DT Dominique Easley among many others.
- Today’s Highlight Reel of the Day belongs to Lions running back Theo Riddick:
Check out highlights of RB Theo Riddick from the 2017 season. pic.twitter.com/IU7gDzBn8P— Detroit Lions (@Lions) January 23, 2018
- ESPN named every franchise’s best team that didn’t win a championship, then proceeded to rank all 32 teams. The 1970 Detroit Lions came in at No. 8 on their list.
- Darius Slay is already in Orlando for the 2018 Pro Bowl, and he’s hanging out with the NFC North’s second-best cornerback:
The No. 1 and No. 2 CBs in the NFC hangin at the Pro Bowl. pic.twitter.com/UAGEpbwyXh— Pride of Detroit (@PrideOfDetroit) January 24, 2018
- In his weekly mailbag, MLive’s Kyle Meinke makes the case for keeping offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter around.
- In Daniel Jeremiah’s first 2018 Mock Draft, he has the Lions addressing their interior offensive line conundrum in the first round.