Now that the Miami Dolphins have declared Ryan Tannehill out for their Week 6 game, the Detroit Lions can focus their film study on Brock Osweiler. Osweiler doesn’t bring the mobility that Tannehill does and has a much worse reputation than the Dolphins’ first-string quarterback.
Former Lions quarterback Dan Orlovsky joined DetroitLions.com’s Mike O’Hara to take a closer look at Osweiler’s game and where he’s vulnerable for the Lions:
Analyzing the #Lions Week 7 matchup against the Miami Dolphins.— Detroit Lions (@Lions) October 18, 2018
X’s and O’s powered by the fastest Internet in Detroit. @Xfinity | #DETvsMIA pic.twitter.com/eaj5tIsJNN
“I do believe the throwing motion is something that the Lions can key on,” Orlovsky states.
Specifically, Orlovsky believes Osweiler tips off the play with a long throwing motion and poor body posture.
“When he’s actually going to throw it and it's coming out of his hands, it takes a long time,” Orlovsky said. “He’s deliberate with his body, he’s deliberate with his eyes, and he’s deliberate with the motion.”
The former Lions quarterback thinks guys like Glover Quin and Darius Slay, who thrive off trusting their instincts, may be able to take advantage of that on Sunday.
- Kyle Meinke of MLive has a horrifying and shocking story about the time Lions tight end Hakeem Valles visited Haiti to do missionary work, and ended up bound and held at gunpoint.
- The Lions aren’t the only team struggling with defense this year. Look at these unbelievable league-wide stats through six weeks:
We’ve seen impressive passing performances across the @NFL through Week 6, with league-wide stats continuing to trend at historic rates. pic.twitter.com/NfXyADxAEC— Troy Vincent (@TroyVincent23) October 18, 2018
- Golden Tate responded to Albert Wilson’s claim to be the league’s best YAC receiver, and he did not disappoint. “You don’t get that title after five games, six games,” Tate said. “I let the people decide.” Justin Rogers of The Detroit News has more.
- This graphic hurts, and it hurts twice. Get well soon, Jamal.
Andre Roberts has been the best kick and punt returner in the NFL so far this season. pic.twitter.com/VbUjMpwkPx— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) October 18, 2018
- On Wednesday, we asked, “Why are the Dolphins good?” The Athletic’s Josh Cohen asked a similar question and pulled up some stats and film to figure out why (subscription required).
- Earlier in the year, there was talk about implementing a retractable roof at Ford Field in an effort to gain an MLS team. It appears those plans have been scrapped:
A retractable roof at Ford Field is a no-go https://t.co/2KVLdET48M via @freep— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) October 18, 2018