Former NFL offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz is familiar with the Detroit Lions and their offensive line. In 2016, Schwartz spent training camp with the Lions before the team ended up cutting him before the season began.
But Schwartz has made a career of being an offensive line expert, and he’s been working with the mothership SB Nation to point out great play along the front five of all NFL teams. One of his most fun recurring things is his “Disrespectful Blocks of the Week” videos, which feature the biggest and most impressive plays from offensive linemen. This week, the Lions were featured in two of Schwartz’s highlight compilations:
DISRESPECTFUL BLOCKS OF THE WEEK are here! Watch this first block by Whitehair! Leading the way for Trubisky. The Lions rushing game has taken off recently and no surprise because Frank Ragnow is beasting dudes. Watch this freaking block! Oh my. Share this with your football friendsPosted by Geoff Schwartz on Thursday, October 25, 2018
But Schwartz went a step further this week and complimented the Lions’ front five as a whole.
“The addition of Arkansas rookie Frank Ragnow has been a major positive for this unit,” Schwartz wrote this week. “He’s starting to improve weekly. The Lions are ninth in adjusted sack rate and most of all, they keep improving.”
- You’re going to want to stop what you’re doing right now and watch this YouTube breakdown of Kerryon Johnson and how he’s transforming the Lions’ entire offense. It’s from our friend Brett Kollmann (who also had this awesome breakdown of Matthew Stafford):
- To help welcome in Damon “Snacks” Harrison, Golden Tate had a literal box of snacks waiting for him in his locker room Thursday morning.
- Speaking of snacks, Ricky Jean Francois is donating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to the homeless every time he gets a sack this year:
You saw the dance. Now you know the reason.— Detroit Lions (@Lions) October 26, 2018
Take it away, @Rbjf_99: pic.twitter.com/03OoZwUZOp
- The Ringer’s Danny Kelly called the Lions one of the four most perplexing teams in the NFL right now. It’s hard to disagree.
- Pro Football Focus’ staff is pretty split on this week’s Lions game, with a slight majority picking Detroit over Seattle:
PFF Analyst game picks for Week 8. For PFF Greenline picks, including over/under, check out:https://t.co/0Zlt8o8Tcr pic.twitter.com/0Nq8SVBOYU— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) October 25, 2018
- Dan Orlovsky breaking down the Xs and Os is a must-watch every week:
Analyzing the #Lions Week 8 matchup against the Seattle Seahawks.— Detroit Lions (@Lions) October 26, 2018
X’s and O’s powered by the fastest Internet in Detroit. @Xfinity | #SEAvsDET pic.twitter.com/Bd1Hu669AD