We may not hear about the true status of Detroit Lions All-Pro punt returner Jamal Agnew for some time. The team is about to break for the bye week, and head coach Matt Patricia did not want to speculate about Agnew’s injury during his Monday morning press conference following the Green Bay Packers game.
So unless the Lions make a roster move—like placing Agnew on injured reserve—we likely won’t hear anything from the team until they’re due to put out an injury report on Wednesday next week.
However, former NFL doctor David J. Chao, who has found a new career diagnosing injuries via video, believes we could be in for some bad news for Agnew.
Agnew was injured in the fourth quarter against the Packers on a deep passing play. As his body tumbled over, his left leg appeared to bend in an awkward fashion. Obviously, Chao’s opinion is far from official, and the Lions may not even know his status until medical examinations are done on Monday, but the outlook appears to be grim for the Lions’ 2017 fifth-round pick.
- In happier news, this is a pretty cool moment for Kenny Golladay. He surprised his mother with a new car for her birthday. Be sure to click to see the video:
- Pretty neat story about how Lions special teamer Charles Washington practiced shoving opponents into a live punt during the week, then did exactly that against the Packers.
- Lions DL Da’Shawn Hand isn’t just having a good year for a rookie, he’s starting to have a great year compared to all other interior defenders:
Da'Shawn Hand is now the No. 1 rookie interior defender in the league, per @pff. Not bad for a fourth-round pick.— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) October 8, 2018
He's 10th among all interior defenders, and seventh against the pass. https://t.co/4Ma8YXj3AQ pic.twitter.com/ugdw8grmXp
- Kyle Meinke of MLive believes that after their performance against the Packers, the Lions’ power run game is for real.
- The Detroit Lions hosted Jim Brandstatter — the Lions’ long-time radio announcer who was unceremoniously fired by WJR this year — for Sunday’s game and even gave him a Game Ball after the win:
Great day yesterday...invited to Lions game by team president Rod Wood, got to visit with Mrs Ford, great lady, Lions won. And was presented a very nice game ball. Really nice! Thanks Rod...Thank you Mrs Ford. pic.twitter.com/ic9vnnlCo1— Jim Brandstatter (@jimbrandstatter) October 8, 2018
- Why did Eli Harold miss an entire week of practice and Sunday’s game against the Packers? It wasn’t just because his wife gave birth to their new baby girl Zuri, but because the process kept getting delayed by doctors. The Detroit News has the whole story.