The life of a kicker is a mixed bag. On every day but Sunday, it’s an easy life for the kicker. At practice, you’re off to the side doing next to nothing all day. Training camp is far from the grueling weeks of practice you see on “Hard Knocks,” and most of the good kickers know their job is safe during the week.
But all it takes is one bad Sunday for it all to go up in flames, and for Packers kicker Mason Crosby, his Week 5 game against the Detroit Lions was that nightmare. It’s not often an opposing kicker gets a Bronx cheer at an away game, but Crosby’s afternoon was so bad that he had Lions fans feeling bad for a Packers player. In a way, he accomplished something far greater than any other NFL player this week. Maybe this is how we eventually find World Peace. All we need is the world’s greatest rivals to witness each other humiliate themselves in front of 65,000 people and we’ll all gain a little humility.
Anyway, the Lions’ Week 5 win over the Green Bay Packers was about far more than just Mason Crosby, and the PODcast crew breaks it all down in this week’s episode.
This week on the PODcast
- We, too, feel bad for Mason Crosby, so we organize a local-themed fruit basket to make his day a little better.
- Was the secondary good or bad? Is the secondary good or bad?
- Please, please, please, someone give the Lions some credit for a win.
- What the hell is going on in the “turd” quarter?
- Bye week: Too early or just at the right time?
- Breaking down the best Lions individual performances, because get it straight: The Lions won this game, the Packers didn’t just lose it.
- NEW SEGMENT: Stories from the Press Box! Jeremy details a story about some Cheeseheads in the Press Box breaking the cardinal rule of the press—BUT WITH A TWIST ENDING.
- Who are the favorites for the NFC North now? Are the Lions true contenders?
- Mailbag talks local craft beer, Ryan makes some really bad puns, and WE DENOUNCE “BABYTRON.” BABYTRON IS NOT A THING.
If you aren’t yet subscribed to the PODcast, here are the brand new links now that we’re part of the Vox Media Podcast Network:
Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | ART19