After a couple weeks off, First Byte is back to preview the Detroit Lions’ penultimate game. This week, the Lions have a chance at revenge against an NFC North rival that seemed to send the team on a downward spiral toward the end of the season. The Minnesota Vikings are playing for the playoff position, the Lions are playing for pride.
So we took a little different angle on this week’s podcast. While we still do tackle the game and offer some predictions, for the first half of the podcast, we focus on fired offensive coordinator John DeFilippo. The former Vikings play-caller came into the 2018 season as one of the hottest coaching candidates on the market.
What went wrong in Minny? Was DeFilippo all to blame or was he the scapegoat? Is he still a viable OC candidate, and would he be a fit in Detroit?
We brought in Eric Thompson from Daily Norseman to help give us the background and answer these questions:
This week on First Byte:
- What went wrong with the Vikings offense this year, and is everything fixed after a huge game against the Dolphins?
- Has John DeFilippo ruined all of his good will? Eric isn’t sure, and he thinks he may have been a bad fit with head coach Mike Zimmer.
- If the Lions are in the market, would DeFilippo be a fit with Matt Patricia? Is he what the Lions are looking for?
- The gang breaks down a daunting matchup for the Lions.
- Snacks or No Snacks? That could be a huge difference on Sunday.
- Eric thinks there’s one way the Lions offense could beat the Vikings defense, and his name rhymes with Penny Holiday.