One of the best things that goes largely unnoticed (or downright ignored) by sports fans is the good that athletes do with their large platform and vast resources. Being a professional athlete provides individuals the opportunity to make a real difference in their local communities and change lives of strangers for the better.
This is extremely evident during the holidays, when charitable efforts ramp up to spread some cheer to those that could use the extra winter boost. This year is no exception, as several Lions players have been involved in really cool programs this week.
First, Glover Quin, Marvin Jones Jr. and Devon Kennard helped deliver gifts to a local middle school:
Then there’s Matthew Stafford. Drawing back on his days as a kid in which his family would deliver Meals on Wheels during Thanksgiving, he and his wife Kelly have developed a yearly tradition that has grown since arriving in Detroit. They find a family in need and personally deliver a ton of gifts to them. This year, they’re helping out three different families and an individual in need. Kyle Meinke of MLive has more on the story:
And even our old friend Golden Tate and his wife Elise are doing something pretty cool for the holidays (and in honor of their soon-to-be second born child):
- Ready for Mock Draft season? Erik Schlitt of Lions Wire goes over some of the most mocked players to Detroit and analyzes the fit.
- Damon Harrison Sr. may never be a Pro Bowler, but he has been one of the most influential run defenders in the six years:
Damon Harrison Sr. (@snacks) has his name all over the @PFF record books when it comes to stopping the run and this season is no different as he yet again leads the league in run stops by an interior defender. His 4th time hitting 40 since 2013#OnePridehttps://t.co/FlxettUw4c pic.twitter.com/PnRZC0aMtE— PFF DET Lions (@PFF_Lions) December 20, 2018
- Ever wonder how analytics are being used by NFL teams? The Ringer’s Kevin Clark has a really good in-depth piece on the rise of analytics in professional football.
- The Lions defense doesn’t blitz very often...
... but it’s easy to see why:
Best pass defenses when blitzing this season.— NFL Matchup on ESPN (@NFLMatchup) December 19, 2018
If your team is on the bottom, when they blitz, they better get home for the sack or they're having some problems.#Skol #FightForEachOther #DallasCowboys #TitanUp #BeRedSeeRed #RavensFlock #ChiefsKingdom #Browns #DaBears pic.twitter.com/GWqpYhuZYH
- Fan favorite Zach Zenner has a short interview with the Detroit Free Press in which he retells the story of breaking his face in a game of baseball.
- ATTENTION PROCRASTINATING CHRISTMAS SHOPPERS:
If you need any last minute gift ideas perhaps you should consider a Finlandia University hat for no reason in particular... pic.twitter.com/9S9ipXzEjr— Zac Snyder not @ZackSnyder (@ZacSnyder) December 21, 2018
- Bleacher Report ranked the top 10 rookie classes from 2018, and the Detroit Lions came in at No. 6! Hey, some good national press!