[Editor’s note: Sorry about the lack of notes in the past two days. I had a hectic start to the week. I’m settled now and will be sure to do notes regularly for the foreseeable future.]
- ESPN ranked each team’s quarterback depth chart going into the 2018 season. The Detroit Lions came out seventh in their rankings, which seems pretty good, especially considering the lack of depth behind Matthew Stafford. However, in the same article from last year, the Lions ranked fourth.
- Good news for Lions defensive end and restricted-free-agent-to-be Brandon Copeland:
Lions LB/DE Brandon Copeland is fully cleared for football activities, a source told ESPN on Wednesday. Copeland tore his pec in the preseason opener in Indianapolis last year, ending his season. Copeland is a restricted free agent this year and has also has special teams value.— Michael Rothstein (@mikerothstein) February 28, 2018
- Did you all know that Darius Slay is a good cornerback? You did? Oh, me too. Here’s some more proof that we’re all smart:
In creating Darius Slay's route breakdown page, I noticed he was within an arm's length of his assignment on all 24 press-man snaps and 18 of 21 off-man snaps against Go routes. Whopping 93% success rate.— Ian Wharton (@NFLFilmStudy) February 28, 2018
- Lions Wire has a nice film breakdown of guard Josh Sitton, who is set to become a free agent and could be a good fit in Detroit.
- Ezekiel Ansah’s productivity has been up and down for his entire career:
Ziggy Ansah's pass-rush productivity by year pic.twitter.com/J0YvTllq6u— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) February 26, 2018
- During his Wednesday press conference, Matt Patricia called cornerback Malcolm Butler “like one of his sons.” It looks like Butler will be a free agent this year, but general manager Bob Quinn spoke highly of Detroit’s internal options at cornerback.
- Wow, this would certainly change the outlook of the entire NFC North going forward:
Kirk Cousins and #Vikings: @RapSheet: “They are going to pursue Cousins hard” @MikeGarafolo: “Vikings are going to make a strong push for Cousins, you can absolutely bet"@Gil_Brandt: "If I were a betting man, I'd say that's where he lands. Certainly interest on both sides"— Chris Wesseling (@ChrisWesseling) February 27, 2018