- The Detroit Lions are going to meet with several NFL prospects during combine week, but they’ve ready met with a couple of the best running back prospects in this year’s draft:
Royce Freeman said he’s had a formal meeting with the Lions.— Chris Burke (@ChrisBurkeNFL) March 1, 2018
The #Lions met with San Diego State RB Rashaad Penny, the nation's leading rusher in 2017 and one of my favorites at the position.— Nate Atkins (@NateAtkins_) March 1, 2018
- Bleacher Report’s Brad Gagnon thinks that of all the Lions’ second-year players, linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin is the most likely to break out in 2018.
- DetroitLions.com has nice video highlighting some of the press conferences from around the NFC North at the combine and catches up with a crazy offseason for the division:
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press isn’t ruling out a long-term deal for Ezekiel Ansah after he was given the franchise tag designation, but at the same time, Birkett isn’t expecting it to happen.
- The Lions made a whole bunch of changes in their scouting and coaching staffs, including the hiring of something called a character coach:
The Lions have hired former Patriots LB Roman Phifer as an area scout. Phifer played 15 NFL seasons.— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) March 1, 2018
Few more personnel moves for the Lions:— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) March 1, 2018
-Mark Stephenson is new director of player performance.
-Joe Kelleher moved from college scouting coordinator to pro scout
-Ron Miles takes over as college coordinator
-Eloy Ledesma is the new BLESTO scout
-Steve Neal is now an area scout
- Ty Schalter of Lions Wire pleads Lions fans to stop making Malcolm Butler-to-the-Lions happen. It’s not going to happen, he argues.
- Sick of all the Matt Patricia love yet? Didn’t think so. Jaguars coach Doug Marrone also had some very nice things to say about the Lions new coach:
#jaguars Doug Marrone was very complimentary of Matt Patricia, who he calls Matty P. Says he’s very bright, smart guy.— Jennifer Lee Chan (@jenniferleechan) February 28, 2018
On Fournette: progressed well, still want to get more out of him and he wants to get better as well. pic.twitter.com/WzC5XuKsTK
- Worried about Matt Patricia’s beard like some kind of weirdo? Don’t. Patricia told Melissa Stark and Steve Mariucci of NFL Network that he trims the beard every offseason and this wasn’t a head coaching thing. It’ll be back.