I think we’ve finally reached a little lull in NFL free agency, so let’s get back to some notes, shall we?
- Former NFL quarterback Chris Simms unveiled his top 5 quarterbacks in the league right now, and it is—to say the very least—pretty shocking:
March 14, 2018
If you think that’s high for Matthew Stafford, you may want to check out where Simms had the Detroit Lions quarterback last year.
Here’s Simms talking about Stafford:
Say it louder for the people in the back pic.twitter.com/hGE2e7Mnht— Detroit Moments (@DetroitMoments) March 16, 2018
- In similarly shocking news, Pro Football Focus ranked all 32 offensive lines from the 2017 season. The Lions actually came in at 19th, despite admitting that Lions running backs averaged the second-fewest yards before contact.
- Eric Ebron, Don Carey and Tahir Whitehead said their goodbyes to Detroit via social media:
☝ ❤️ DET pic.twitter.com/qp1Mrkl69b— Eric Ebron (@Ebron85) March 14, 2018
I want to thank the @Lions and the great city of Detroit for 7 of the best seasons of my life. You helped mold me into the man and player I am today. Thank you for embracing me as one of your own and opening so many doors for me and my family. Be blessed!— Don Carey Speaks (@DonCarey) March 15, 2018
Thank you for all the love and support shown in Detroit over the years. ✊— Tahir Whitehead (@Big_Tah47) March 16, 2018
- Devon Kennard, on the other hand, is eager to say hello to Detroit and their fans:
I hear Detroit fans are loud and faithful! I can’t wait to meet you all!— DK (@DevonKennard) March 15, 2018
- Considering I’ve been asked this question about 1,000 times over the past 48 hours, the Detroit News’ Justin Rogers estimates that the Lions have between $18-19 million in cap space, not including the deals for Christian Jones and Nick Bellore.
- Before his ACL tear, new Lions cornerback DeShawn Shead was one of the best run defenders in the NFL:
from @PFF pic.twitter.com/tT3nh0JvWo— Nick Olah (@nickandcats) March 14, 2018
- This is probably a bad time to point this out, but over the past three seasons, Matthew Stafford has been one of the best quarterbacks in two tight end sets.
- New Lions Devon Kennard and Christian Jones had a teleconference with the Lions media on Thursday. The Detroit News has a nice recap of Jones’ conference, while the Detroit Free Press has some great quotes on Kennard.