Back in 2013, POD alumnus Sean Yuille started what is my favorite NFL Draft tradition: The completely random mock draft. Back then, the horrible, no-good Detroit Lions ended up taking Geno Smith fifth overall, while Ezekiel Ansah fell to the Rams at 16.
Since then, we’ve continued the tradition every year (except when I foolishly forgot last draft). Here’s how it works:
I wrote down the top 32 players on Arif Hasan’s Consensus Big Board, which averaged 35 different big boards into one major list. After collecting the top 32 prospects, I put each name individually into a hat:
From there, I simply made each pick one-by-one and placed them in order of the 2018 NFL Draft order. Here are the results.
1: Cleveland Browns: Da’Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
2: New York Giants: Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
3. New York Jets: Derwin James, S, Florida State
4. Cleveland Browns: Marcus Davenport, EDGE, UTSD
5. Denver Broncos: Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
6. Indianapolis Colts: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State
8. Chicago Bears: Mike Hughes, CB, Central Florida
9. San Francisco 49ers: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
10. Oakland Raiders: Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
11. Miami Dolphins: Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
12. Buffalo Bills: Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
13. Washington: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
14. Green Bay Packers: Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
15. Arizona Cardinals: Vita Vea, DT, Washington
16. Baltimore Ravens: Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
17. Los Angeles Chargers: Roquan Smith, ILB/OLB, Georgia
18. Seattle Seahawks: Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
19. Dallas Cowboys: Sam Darnold, QB, USC
20. Detroit Lions: Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
21. Cincinnati Bengals: Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
22. Buffalo Bills: Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State
23. New England Patriots: Sam Hubbard, EDGE, Ohio St.
24. Carolina Panthers: Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
25. Tennessee Titans: Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College
26. Atlanta Falcons: Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
27. New Orleans Saints: James Daniels, C, Iowa
28. Pittsburgh Steelers: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
29. Jacksonville Jaguars: Connor Williams, OT, Texas
30. Minnesota Vikings: Isaiah Wynne, G, Georgia
31. New England Patriots: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
32. Philadelphia Eagles: Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
There are some realistic picks among this mess of a draft. Connor Williams to the Jaguars, Sam Hubbard to the Patriots, and even Baker Mayfield to the Broncos are legitimate possibilities.
Most interesting of all, however, is the fact that the Detroit Lions landed the player that has been mocked to them more than any other player: LSU’s Derrius Guice. I personally don’t think this will happen, but a lot of other people seem to think so.
My favorite pick in the draft, however, is Saquon Barkley falling to the Steelers, signaling the end of the Le’Veon Bell era. Obviously there is literally no chance of this happening, but I love it anyways.