- The Detroit Lions face off against the New York Jets to open the 2018 regular season. The Jets just used the third overall pick in the draft on quarterback Sam Darnold. However, ESPN’s Bill Barnwell doesn’t think Darnold will start on Day 1. “Bowles understandably hopes that McCown will help develop Darnold during the season,” Barwell wrote. “But given McCown’s injury history, it’s likely that McCown will be forced off the field during the first half of the campaign.”
- You may remember the Kerryon Johnson “Road to the Pros” YouTube mini-documentary we talked about last week. Part 4 of the documentary dropped later in the week and follows along Johnson on Draft Day:
- Even though the Lions are projected to have several extra late-round picks in 2019, Zac Snyder of Detroit Jock City points out that it will be hard for the Lions to make up for giving up their third-round pick.
- After being released from the Seahawks last week, former Lions defensive lineman Cliff Avril has taken a Seattle sports radio job:
Cliff Avril starts “next chapter” with radio gig https://t.co/N30Tn0b59O— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) May 7, 2018
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reached out to Auburn’s running backs coach to get the background on Kerryon Johnson. A snippet: “he could actually probably have played an inside slot receiver for us just because he’s got such good adjustability to bad throws.”
- You may want to enjoy these highlights while you still can. Sandman’s latest: Golden Tate 2017 highlights:
- Scott Bischoff of The Athletic took an in-depth look (Subscription required) at how the Lions’ offseason moves on defense indicate that Detroit will run a similar defense to the one Matt Patricia ran in New England.