Another week, another rough story for the Detroit Lions. It’s been a tough offseason for the organization. First, we learned former employees filed suit against the team, alleging racist and ageist practices. Then the Matt Patricia sexual assault allegations came to light. And this weekend, Calvin Johnson reignited the conflict between the All-Star receiver and the team.
Johnson specifically pointed to president Rod Wood as the source of many of his frustrations, claiming that upon hearing of Johnson’s retirement, Wood’s very first reaction was (paraphrasing), “What about our money?”
The PODcast is all over the Johnson story this week, asking, once again, if all this negative press was really worth the $1 million+ they eventually recouped from Johnson.
And if that topic wasn’t frustrating enough, the infamous 10-second runoff game is up next in our season rewind segment. That’s right, we talk Lions-Falcons and everything that went right and wrong in that game.
This week on the PODcast:
- Who is right in this Calvin Johnson situation? Who is wrong?
- We discuss what it means to be critical of the organization as a fan vs. media member, and walking that fine line.
- Has Rod Wood overstepped his role as team president? Why is someone who claimed to be a non-football guy taking part in such key decisions with the team?
- We go back in the Way Back Machine to discuss what happened in Lions-Falcons. Was the 10-second runoff justified? Is replay ruining the game? Did the Lions even deserve to be in that game? Did we overlook any warning signs at the time?
- Mailbag discusses bacon in desserts, Game 1 of the NBA finals and must-see movie series.