- ESPN’s Bill Barnwell took a look at a few players that he believes will decline after having breakout 2017 seasons. Both Marvin Jones Jr. and Darius Slay of the Detroit Lions were named to the list, as he expects both to regress a bit after huge spikes in production last season.
- Frank Ragnow took to Instagram this weekend to pay tribute to his late father after his first NFL game. Ragnow’s father passed away due to a heart attack in 2016.
- NFL.com’s Bucky Brooks listed out the “Engine” of each of the NFL’s offenses. He made the simple yet obvious choice of Matthew Stafford for the Lions. Brooks noted that “Stafford is quietly one of the NFL’s top clutch performers.”
- USA Football’s Brandon Thorn highlighted the impressive performance of rookie duo Ragnow and Tyrell Crosby in their preseason opener last Friday.
Solid deuce block by Crosby/Ragnow on Hurst: pic.twitter.com/uCN2Jh9oo2— Brandon Thorn (@VeteranScout) August 11, 2018
- Lions running back Ameer Abdullah became the center of trade talk on social media over the weekend after an impressive performance in Detroit’s preseason opener and Washington’s loss of rookie Derrius Guice to an ACL tear. Washington head coach Jay Gruden said this weekend that the team was not looking to add a veteran back, which takes away the Lions most likely trade partner.
- MLive’s Nate Atkins tried to take a peak into a different world where Stafford’s record breaking 2017 contract extension had instead been worth the league minimum. He gives the Lions another try at free agency with the extra cash infusion to see what kind of talent they can bring in.
- And because it’s Monday and we can all really use a pick me up, here’s a reminder of the kind of things the Detroit Lions newest rookie running back can do.
Kerryon Johnson with some moves!!! (called back but w/e) pic.twitter.com/5hxZyzMU5m— Ian Hartitz (@Ihartitz) August 11, 2018