- After Thursday’s practice, Giants star receiver Odell Beckham Jr. spoke with the media and told reporters he thought the Detroit Lions were going to select him 10th overall in the 2014 NFL Draft.
Beckham said he probably thought about having the opportunity to play with Calvin Johnson at the time, but has since moved on and is happy with the situation he has with the Giants.
Of course, the Lions went on to draft Eric Ebron with the pick instead.
- Matt Patricia thinks the new kickoff rules may change the kind of personnel he’ll have on special teams this year, suggesting he’ll prefer speedier players over stronger ones.
- NFL Network was in the building this week for Lions practice, and Stacey Dales filed this report about Matt Patricia (and Saquon Barkley):
- Yahoo Sports listed the top 10 most tortured NFL fanbases and the Lions somehow didn’t even crack the top five. The Green Bay Packers hilariously checked in at No. 10, while the Lions were sixth.
- The NFL attempted to provide some clarity on the new helmet rule using examples from Week 1 of the preseason. Does this make it any clearer to you?
The Use of Helmet rule is designed to protect players from unnecessary risk. It's illegal to lower your head to initiate contact against an opponent. This rule applies to all players & the entire field. The 1st 3 plays are examples of the #NFLWaytoPlay and the last 3 are fouls. pic.twitter.com/HzfR196UIg— Al Riveron (@alriveron) August 15, 2018
- Jeff Risdon of Lions Wire thinks the Lions need to make a move for a backup quarterback and trade for former first-round pick Paxton Lynch.
- Rest in peace, Aretha Franklin. You were a legend.