On Monday, New York Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. signed a five-year, $95 million contract extension. Luckily, media happened to be in the locker room when the news hit, and Golden Tate was right there to give his natural reaction to the new contract.
Per MLive’s Kyle Meinke, the Detroit Lions’ receiver literally fell out of his chair when he heard the news.
“The guys who have gotten paid this year are big-time players,” Tate said. ”I’ve seen those guys get paid, and quite frankly, I hope everybody gets paid. This is a tough game to play, it’s a tough game to play for a long time, and hearing about that Odell deal, I’m excited. Another guy I’m going to hit up for a vacation here soon.”
Ever since Tate made it known that he’s interested in signing a long-term deal in Detroit, he has publicly expressed himself every time a fellow wide receiver gets paid. He asked for vacation invite when Stefon Diggs got five years, $72 million. He was clearly thrilled for Jarvis Landry when the Browns gave him $75.5 million over five years, so much so that he tweeted the Mr. Burns “excellent” twiddly fingers.
Tate wouldn’t provide any sort of update on his own contract situation, but he’s still clearly thinking about it. He even tweeted about it on Tuesday:
Mood all season:— Golden Tate (@ShowtimeTate) August 28, 2018
“@OBJ_3 can I hold some “ Congrats fam! #PlaymakersDeserveIt pic.twitter.com/d4zVxdkdSA
- Beckham’s former teammate and now Detroit Lion Devon Kennard gave it up for the Giants receiver, too:
Happy for the bro @OBJ_3 !!!— DK (@DevonKennard) August 27, 2018
- Brian Bartell of “brianslionsblog” has a nice statistical breakdown of how the New England Patriots have built a dynasty and how important edge rushing talent has been to their roster.
- This video of Dwayne Washington’s daughter watching him play is an overload of adorableness (but you may want to turn the volume down):
- I joined Greg DePalma of Ourlads to preview the Detroit Lions’ 2018 season along with the rest of the NFC North.
- For those wondering if the Lions will pick up anyone from the waiver wire this weekend:
This Patriots roster projection has DT Vincent Valentine and LB Marquis Flowers as cuts. Imagine both would be on the Lions' radar if that happens. https://t.co/PMUxMH71Ul— Chris Burke (@ChrisBurkeNFL) August 28, 2018
- The New York Jets have yet to name their starting quarterback for Week 1’s against the Lions, though Sam Darnold has been the starter in the past two preseason games.
- Dave Birkett released his “final” 53-man roster predictions for the Lions and there are a few little surprises along the way.