For years now, Detroit Lions fans have dreamed of an effective offensive line. Sick of seeing running backs taken down in the backfield and Matthew Stafford nursing some kind of injury, general manager Bob Quinn has made it his mission to fix this problem.
After years of drafting and free agency additions, he may have finally done it. It’s early, but through three games, the Lions’ offensive line is the fifth best in the entire league, according to Pro Football Focus’ most recent rankings.
“The Lions have been extremely up and down so far this season, but this past week’s performance showed exactly what this offensive line is capable of,” PFF’s Michael Renner wrote. “They allowed all of five pressures on 40 pass-block snaps against the Patriots and opened up holes for their first 100-yard rusher since 2013.”
Interestingly enough, the Lions’ offensive line isn’t the best in the division. The Packers rank just above them at fourth overall. The two teams are due to face off in Week 5, so we’ll see how the two match up then.
- The Lions’ excellent new documentary series on individual players continues this week with linebacker Devon Kennard. This episode details Kennard’s passion for reading, the importance of his faith and his family. Check it out here.
- Didn’t have enough radio calls from Dan Miller or on-field audio? The Lions have five minutes worth of extra audio from Sunday night’s win over the Patriots:
- Are the Cowboys trying to get a quick competitive advantage on the Lions? They’ve signed former Lions defensive tackle Christian Ringo to their practice squad.
- Speaking of practice squad additions, the Lions made a transaction of their own on Wednesday:
The #Lions have signed TE Jerome Cunningham to the practice squad and released RB Donnel Pumphrey from the practice squad.— Detroit Lions (@Lions) September 26, 2018
- The Lions beat writers put out a couple of nice film breakdowns from Sunday’s game against the Patriots. Justin Rogers has five observations for The Detroit News, while MLive’s Nate Atkins has 10 observations of his won.
- Golden Tate is still one of the best slot receivers in the game.