While no Detroit Lions players that were waived or cut this weekend have found their way onto a 53-man roster as of Monday afternoon, a handful of players have jumped to other teams’ practice squads.
For the past two years, Billingsley has spent most of his time on the Lions’ practice squad after failing to make the team in back-to-back years. He was waived again this offseason, but there was no indication if the Lions wanted him back this time. ESPN’s Mike Reese seems to suggest Detroit tried to get him back, noting that Billingsley “could have returned” but saw New England “as better opportunity.”
Considering the Lions kept six wide receivers on the roster this year, including undrafted rookie Brandon Powell, it certainly makes sense on Billingsley’s end.
In New England, he has a shot to be promoted to their regular roster at any time. With Julian Edelman serving a four-game suspension to start the year and New England dealing with a couple of injuries, Billingsley could be a good fit there. However, the Patriots were also awarded two receivers off waivers this weekend—Chad Hansen and Amara Darboh—who will offer some serious competition to Billingsley.
- It had been the least-kept secret, but the Detroit Lions will officially be facing off against Jets rookie quarterback Sam Darnold:
OFFICIAL: QB Sam Darnold will open the season as the starter. pic.twitter.com/IOgb1B6yNc— New York Jets (@nyjets) September 3, 2018
- The Athletic has a great piece on new Lions linebacker Marquis Flowers and how Matt Patricia used him during the 2017 AFC divisional playoff game against the Titans.
- In case you were wondering if the Lions made waiver claims on guys like Mario Edwards or Carl Davis... they did not:
Info on waiver claims: #Browns DL Carl Davis had the most (CIN, WAS, LAC & CLE). #Browns LB Tanner Vallejo had 3 (ARZ, CLE and MIA), as did #Chargers DT TY McGill (BUF, PHI & LAC) #Giants DE Mario Edwards had 3 (BUF, PHI & NYG). Kevin Hogan only had DEN, Luke Falk only had MIA.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 3, 2018
- Jeff Risdon of Lions Wire has a nice, short profile on the newest Lions cornerback Dee Virgin.
- This has to be a good sign for the upcoming season, right?
Monday morning, Week 1 of the NFL season starts with a rainbow over Detroit Lions headquarters. Pretty cool any day. pic.twitter.com/6U2sPkqx9O— Mike O'Hara (@MikeOHaraNFL) September 3, 2018
- Bleacher Report’s Maurice Moton thinks the Detroit Lions are one the biggest sleeper teams this year and believes they deserve more respect.