Burke talked with then general manager Martin Mayhew, head coach Jim Schwartz, offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, and, of course, Stafford himself to get the scoop on the kind of pre-draft process they put Stafford through, the outside pressure from fans who overwhelmingly wanted Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry, and the internal team debate between Stafford and Marc Sanchez, the second quarterback off the board in the 2009 NFL Draft.
It’s a very good behind-the-scenes look at what the pre-draft process really looks like, and what goes through the mind of a general manager trying to turn around a franchise in their darkest hour. If you have an Athletic subscription, I highly recommend taking some time out of your day to read this.
- Ford Field will host a couple of celebrities Monday night for the Detroit Lions’ preseason opener against the New York Jets. Popular Fortnite streamer Tyler “Ninja” Blevins and entrepreneur/wine critic Gary Vaynerchuk will be in attendance, and the two may have a bet going on between them (Blevins is a Lions fans, Vaynerchuk a Jets fan):
Dude I’m coming to Detroit for the game - a little wager?— Gary Vaynerchuk (@garyvee) September 4, 2018
- Wednesday was Justin Rogers’ turn for game-by-game predictions of the Lions’ 2018 season. You won’t be too happy about this one either—though Rogers just notoriously picks the favorite in every game.
- Be prepared to eat a lot of Hungry Howie’s pizza this year. For every Darius Slay interception, the pizza chain is offering a second pizza for just 23 cents:
If I get a pick you get a great @HungryHowies pizza deal . Buy a large pizza and get a second large pizza for $.23 using promo code SLAY23. Restriction apply. Order all season: https://t.co/X5YYMdvCkB #BigPlaySlay #HowieSlay23— Darius Slay (@_bigplayslay23) September 5, 2018
- The Lions positional coaches met with the media on Monday. You can check out their interviews here: defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni, offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, OL coach Jeff Davidson, DBs coach Brian Stewart, TEs coach Chris White, QB coach George Godsey, DL coach Bo Davis, LBs coach Al Golden, WRs coach Robert Prince, RBs coach David Walker
- “It’s only the preseason,” but Kerryon Johnson looked promising in the Lions’ first few exhibition games: