Brandon Powell was one of the more surprising names on the Detroit Lions’ initial 53-man roster. The undrafted rookie out of Florida had long odds to make the team, especially considering the Lions’ top four receivers were pretty much set in stone from the beginning of training camp.
However, not only did Powell make the final 53-man roster, but he earned the respect of his teammate Golden Tate.
This week, Tate hyped up Powell as the real deal. “I think the best thing about him, once he gets the ball in his hand, he’s kind of a like a running back,” Tate said per MLive. “He could be the YAC king some day.”
Obviously, Tate knows what he’s talking about when it comes to YAC (yards after the catch). Tate has finished in the top four in YAC in each of his four seasons in Detroit.
But Tate also has a tendency to over-exaggerate with his own teammates. Just a couple years ago, he said something almost identical about Jace Billingsley.
“He reminds me a lot of a younger me,” Tate said. “Just very, very shifty. I think he’s got some running back in him. I think he might have played running back in college, I think.
Billingsley was cut this year by the Lions having never caught a single pass in two seasons with Detroit. Only time will tell if Powell emerges from the shadows.
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press offered some more details on Quandre Diggs’ three-year extension that he was given earlier in the week:
Quandre Diggs extension included $9.557 million in guarantees over the next 3 years. Base salaries g'td this year and next and a $4.5M signing bonus— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) September 7, 2018
- MLive’s Nate Atkins visited the hometown of Detroit Lions head coach Matt Patricia to learn more about the first-time head coach’s upbringing, his childhood life, and the origins of the No. 2 pencil.
- Eminem will be an honorary captain on Monday night and will be part of the coin toss ceremony:
Season Launch Week presented by @RocketMortgage continues with some HUGE news! Joining the #Lions captains for the coin toss is legendary Detroit-native and Grammy award-winning rapper, @EMINEM. #NYJvsDET pic.twitter.com/rGBLKd2UCo— Detroit Lions (@Lions) September 7, 2018
- Dan Orlovsky is still working with the Detroit Lions... as part of their digital media team. He appears to be doing a weekly show with DetroitLions.com’s Mike O’Hara doing what he does best: break down film. Watch his first episode here.
- Sports Illustrated put out an interesting article on how the way the Seahawks have treated Russell Wilson caused quite a rift in the locker room. Golden Tate, who has his own history with Wilson, offered this brief response to the article: