The Detroit Lions won’t be getting a lot of postseason honors this year. Granted, Darius Slay earned his second-straight Pro Bowl and Quandre Diggs was named an alternate. However, Detroit was shut out of All-Pro voting and no one will likely be up for any official postseason awards.
That being said, the Lions’ rookie class was impressive in 2018 and worthy of a considerable amount of praise. Perhaps the biggest impact came from fourth-round pick Da’Shawn Hand. The defensive tackle consistently led all rookie interior defenders in Pro Football Focus grades, and his traditional stats were pretty impressive, too: 27 tackles, four tackles for loss, 3.0 sacks, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery. For a rotational player, that’s pretty impressive.
All of this production resulted in ESPN naming him to their All-Rookie team. Lions first-round pick Frank Ragnow also got an honorable mention amongst the guards.
- Though this is likely to be outdated soon, here is a nice little cheat sheet for the coaching jobs still open around the NFL and the changes made in this offseason alone:
Latest NFL head coach + offensive and defensive coordinator chart pic.twitter.com/yVxEzsKZ45— Mike Clay (@MikeClayNFL) January 14, 2019
- The Indianapolis Colts are making a shocking move, firing offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo, per NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo. He’s sure to be a hot name among those still searching for an o-line coach, and it’s worth noting that he worked with the New England Patriots. In fact, the reason he was in Indy was because Josh McDaniels hired him before backing out of the Colts head coaching job.
- I miss him already. Here are Kerryon Johnson’s highlights from his rookie season:
⚡️⚡️⚡️— Detroit Lions (@Lions) January 14, 2019
Check out the best plays from @AyeyoKEJO's rookie season. pic.twitter.com/Ix6Oqj7H1E
- Jeff Risdon of Lions Wire is at the East-West Shrine Game this week. With practices underway, Risdon wrote a quick profile on an under-the-radar cornerback prospect: James Madison’s Jimmy Moreland, who he sees as a good fit with Detroit.
- In Pro Football Focus’ latest mock draft, they slot cornerback Greedy Williams to the Lions with the eighth-overall pick.
- The Pro Football Writers of America made their selections for All-NFC and All-AFC teams. Unsurprisingly, the Lions did not make the list.