“Droppin dimes” has been a colloquial term in football for years now, referring to a 10-out-of-10 throw. 10. Dime. You get it.
But NFL’s Next Gen Stats sought to define what an actual “dime” is and which quarterbacks are the best at throwing them. They define a “dime” as a pass that travels at least 30 yards in the air and fits into windows of one yard or less.
Daniel Jones may have earned the nickname “Danny Dimes” after just three starts in the NFL, but Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford has a much longer reputation of throwing dimes according to this stat. ESPN’s Bill Barnwell listed the top five quarterbacks in this category since 2016, and Stafford came in second on the list:
The NFL’s Next-Gen Stats created a metric called Dimes, which is for throws traveling 30 or more yards in the air into windows of one yard or less. The top five since 2016:— Bill Barnwell (@billbarnwell) October 10, 2019
Russell Wilson, 40
Matthew Stafford, 34
Ben Roethlisberger ,33
Dak Prescott, 28
Drew Brees, 28
- Check out this amazing interview Marvin Jones Jr. does with ESPN Deportes almost exclusively in Spanish. Pero Jones necesita una mejor conexión a internet.
- The Lions held an event at Ford Field on Thursday preparing 50,000 boxed meals for people in need. Even Lions owner Martha Ford, 94, was there lifting boxes and helping out those less fortunate.
- Justin Rogers of The Detroit News answered fan questions, and made an interesting note about how tackling may be the team’s biggest issue right now.
- PFF still isn’t much of a believer in the Lions. Here are their picks for this week:
The picks are LIVE!— PFF (@PFF) October 10, 2019
Here’s who the PFF Analysts are taking in NFL Week 6 ⬇️⬇️ pic.twitter.com/ZpnG2MWJVC
And here were their picks in the previous game...
The picks are IN for NFL Week 4!— PFF (@PFF) September 26, 2019
Here’s who the PFF Analysts are taking this week ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/kjvyMwKhjw
And the previous week...
The picks are IN!— PFF (@PFF) September 19, 2019
Here’s who the PFF Analysts are taking for NFL Week 3
And the previous week...
The picks are IN!— PFF (@PFF) September 12, 2019
Here’s who the PFF Analysts are taking for NFL Week 2
Oh, hey! There’s one!
- One thing the Lions aren’t struggling with? Drops. As Lions Wire’s Jeff Risdon points out, they only have a single drop through four games (depending on your source for the unofficial stat).
- Matthew Stafford’s reaction to the Bleacher Report Joker parody video is perfect:
Matthew Stafford didn’t know of the Bleacher Report Joker parody video featuring him.— Pride of Detroit (@PrideOfDetroit) October 9, 2019
When someone offered to show it to him:
“I’ll not look at it some other time.”