With a 12.9 run stop percentage, A’Shawn Robinson falls fourth among the top interior defenders who have played a minimum of 60 run-defense snaps, according to PFF.
These interior defenders have been STOUT against the run this season! pic.twitter.com/VX8qsP2E9Y— PFF (@PFF) October 13, 2019
#Lions DT A'Shawn Robinson has really flashed on tape as well. Excellent run defender with some rush upside. Very disruptive all-around player. He's really stout inside for that #OnePride DL. He, Flowers, Snacks Harrison, etc are a formidable front. pic.twitter.com/q71t3MwiqD— Fran Duffy (@fduffy3) September 19, 2019
That’s great, but in the last four games, the Lions rushing yards allowed measures up as follows:
- Arizona Cardinals: 112 yards allowed
- Los Angeles Chargers: 137
- Philadelphia Eagles: 127
- Kansas City Chiefs: 123
Detroit ranks 23rd in the league at an average of 124.8 rushing yards allowed per game. Robinson’s getting attention for solid play, but the area struggling with health issues needs to improve overall.
On that note, right now Robinson is questionable to play against the Packers. A knee injury is giving him some trouble, missing practice Thursday and limited Friday and Saturday.
Meanwhile, late Monday afternoon, the Lions announced they signed defensive tackle John Atkins from the practice squad. Both Mike Daniels and Da’Shawn Hand have already been ruled out.
#Lions have signed DT John Atkins to the active roster from the practice squad and released WR Tom Kennedy. pic.twitter.com/p9BG7BdtC3— Detroit Lions (@Lions) October 14, 2019
Onto the rest of your notes:
- Matthew Stafford is closing in on 40,000 yards passing, take a trip down memory lane with Dave Birkett.
- Along those lines, a thought-provoking column from Freep’s Shawn Windsor: “There is a reason Stafford is about to pass the 40,000-yard threshold. And a reason he is nowhere near done climbing up that all-time list: Talent.”
- PFF breaks down the league’s top cornerbacks. Hint: One wears Honolulu blue and enjoys punching balls.
- What’s up with T.J. Lang, and what’s his future lookin’ like? Justin Rogers of The Detroit News caught up with the recently retired lineman to find out.
- Speaking of Lang, he and Graham Glasgow hung out at The Petting Farm in Ann Arbor in his latest episode of “Goin’ Nuts with T.J.”
- Just a beautiful piece from The Athletic’s Chris Burke who stopped by the birthplace of the Lions in Portsmouth, Ohio. Some really neat photos of Spartan Municipal Stadium, grab some hot cocoa (or *~*~pumpkin spice latte~*~* frappa lappa whatever) and curl up with this one. While you’re at it, he had another piece on containing Aaron Rodgers and his ability to improvise. (Subscription required)
- And Wojo on why this Lions defense shouldn’t be too worried about tonight. “Detroit has held opposing quarterbacks to the third-lowest completion percentage (55.4) and the lowest on third downs.”