A general look at Kenny Golladay’s basic statistics reveals nothing too special. He’s currently 40th in the NFL in receiving yards (243) , and he’s even behind his teammate Marvin Jones Jr. (273).
But don’t get it twisted, Gollady is the team’s No. 1 receiver and he’s becoming a big-play threat. First, let’s look at who Matthew Stafford is targeting the most. Golladay has 36 targets this season. The next closest is Jones with 24. That means Golladay is seeing 50 percent more targets than anyone else on the team. In fact, Golladay’s target share percentage is among the highest in the league:
Target share leaders in 2019:— Field Yates (@FieldYates) October 2, 2019
1. Michael Thomas: 33.6%
2. Keenan Allen: 33.1%
3. Jamison Crowder: 30.4%
4. Darren Waller: 29.8%
5. DeAndre Hopkins: 29.5%
6. Davante Adams: 27.7%
7. Cooper Kupp: 27.2%
8. Odell Beckham, Jr.: 26.9%
9. Kenny Golladay: 26.7%
10. George Kittle: 26.2%
And while there should obviously be some concern that Golladay is getting so many targets but isn’t leading the team in receiving yards, it’s not like Golladay is failing to produce big plays. His four touchdowns is tied for the most among all wide receivers, and he’s Stafford’s favorite downfield target:
WR Kenny Golladay is already halfway to this 2018 total of deep (20+ yards) targets and we're only through Week 4....the offensive scheme is a little different #OnePride https://t.co/PHadeDszAT— PFF DET Lions (@PFF_Lions) October 2, 2019
- Speaking of Golladay, he made Nate Burleson’s “Toe Drag Swag” segment this week with his late go-ahead touchdown against the Chiefs:
Don't you love the fancy footwork?— GMFB (@gmfb) October 1, 2019
We know you do.
It's time for TOE DRAG SWAG!@AllenRobinson | @Brown1arthur | J.C. Jackson | @kgxix pic.twitter.com/g5LhmYMbc2
- No Lions made PFF’s First-Quarter All-Pro Team, but three made their second-team, including two players on the offensive line.
- Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill passed away on Wednesday. Lions owner Martha Ford offered this statement in response to the news:
Statement from Lions owner Martha Firestone Ford on passing of Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill pic.twitter.com/F6Akwckx0P— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) October 2, 2019
- T.J. Hockenson made The Athletic’s (subscription required) All-Rookie team at the quarter mark of the season. Jahlani Tavai got an honorable mention at linebacker.
- Re-live Matthew Stafford’s best throw from Sunday with some fresh commentary via Dan Orlovsky:
Throw of the year so far in the #NFL ??— Dan Orlovsky (@danorlovsky7) October 2, 2019
Info+dead man walking=Stafford with a seed in the middle of 4 defenders.. @MikeOHaraNFL @PrideOfDetroit @kgxix @JalenRose @Lions fans like your QB can’t make these throws #NFLGamePass pic.twitter.com/U6h407AUDc
- Great read from our friends at Arrowhead Pride, who traveled to Ford Field to view the gameday fan experience in Detroit.