Unless you’ve been living under a rock, everyone’s talking about how Matthew Stafford’s having a good season so far — to put it lightly.
According to Mike O’Hara, he’s tied with divisional opponent Aaron Rodgers for second in the league in touchdown passes after Sunday at 16. That’s also having played one less game.
Matthew Stafford is tied with Aaron Rodgers for second in the NFL in TD passes. Both have 16. Russell Wilson leads the league with 17 TD passes. Wilson and Rodgers have played eight games. Stafford has played seven.— Mike O'Hara (@MikeOHaraNFL) October 28, 2019
O’Hara goes on to explain Stafford’s success this season, read that here.
Through Week 7, Stafford ranked second in end-zone targets at 21 tied with Rodgers. Ahead of them was Russell Wilson at 29, and behind them was Lamar Jackson at 20 and Philip Rivers at 18.
Matthew Stafford for MVP?
On to your notes.
- Victory Monday!!!!!! Here’s the locker room celly if you haven’t seen it yet.
- NFL.com’s “What we learned from Sunday’s Week 8 Games”: “After scoring 27-plus points in only four games last year, Detroit (3-3-1) now has five such games in the first eight weeks, and Stafford has absolutely been leading the way.”
- “The $90 million man finally produced for the Detroit Lions — and it couldn’t have come at a better time.” Trey Flowers gets some well-deserved recognition from Detroit Free Press’ Jeff Seidel.
- Apparently Golden Tate was not too high on Kenny Golladay when the Lions first drafted him in 2017. But that’s clearly didn’t last long.
- As you’re probably aware, Ninja took over the Lions social media accounts on Sunday. This was nice:
While at the @Lions game, we were fortunate enough to meet Kelly Stafford. She is such a STRONG amazing soul. Thank you for being such an outstanding example for women and girls. pic.twitter.com/vn9wjVfemu— Jessica Blevins (@JessicaBlevins) October 28, 2019
- A Mitch Albom column, touching on that beautiful flea flicker. “The Detroit Lions got more than bugs off their shoulders Sunday; they won a football game for the first time in a month...”
- A fun piece from Dave Birkett on players’ favorite Halloween costumes.
- And yes I’m embedding myself but I thought you’d enjoy this Stafford quote if you haven’t seen it already (when asked a ... strangely phrased question.) #ToughTeam
Good Stafford quote. Asked what are the Detroit Lions? A good team, an average team, a bad team?— Kellie Rowe (@kellierowe) October 27, 2019
Stafford: "I'll let you know at the end of the year. Right now we're a tough football team. I know that. We've got guys banged up all sorts of places. .. We're mentally tough."