After a fantastic performance against the New York Giants, Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford is up for weekly Air Player of the Week honors. Based on a fan vote, the FedEx awards the best quarterback (Air) and best running back (Ground) performance of the week by donating $2,000 to the USO based on the player’s behalf.
Against the Giants, Stafford completed 25-of-32 passes for 342 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. His 129.4 passer rating was second only to Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson this week (131.7)
Stafford was also playing out of his mind in the second half:
Matthew Stafford is the only @NFL player to finish any half this season with 10+ pass attempts, completion percentage, 145 yards & 2⃣ TDs— Detroit Lions (@Lions) October 30, 2019
(h/t @LionsPR) pic.twitter.com/MrJK0MEbVx
Stafford’s competition for this weekly award are Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. Here’s how their performance stacks up:
Stafford: 25-of-32 for 342 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT (129.4 rating)
Brees: 34-of-43 for 373 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT (116.4)
Rodgers: 23-of-33 for 305 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs (129.0)
Stafford has the edge in completion percentage, yards per attempt and passer rating, while Brees leads the way in yards. Rodgers’ only true advantage is his lack of an interception.
So you should obviously vote for Stafford. Do it here.
- Ian Rapoport had some more details on the near Devonta Freeman trade between the Falcons and Lions, and they’re pretty interesting:
Per Rapoport, trade talks lasted "about a week."— Pride of Detroit (@PrideOfDetroit) October 30, 2019
"There was a thought, at one point, that this deal would happen, but in the end, it didn't break down because of compensation. In the end, the Falcons simply decided they did not want to trade Freeman." https://t.co/w0Wn31zbWX
- Justin Rogers of the Detroit News has a nice film breakdown of how the Lions slowed Saquon Barkley, the Lions’ improved pass rush and Detroit’s incredible third-down success.
- Lions-Giants on-field audio. I shouldn’t need to sell it any more than that:
"WE SET THE TEMPO!"— Detroit Lions (@Lions) October 30, 2019
Sights and sounds from Week 8 versus the Giants. #NYGvsDET #OnePride | #ThinkFordFirst pic.twitter.com/CWWSMeOsXK
- ESPN’s Michael Rothstein has a nice story on how the Lions’ trick play against the Giants came to be.
- Don’t blitz Matthew Stafford unless you want pain:
The top passer ratings vs. the blitz this season ⬇️— PFF (@PFF) October 29, 2019
Kirk Cousins pic.twitter.com/FdbrSajdcR