For many, the opinion of former Detroit Lions linebacker carries extra weight. As a color commentator for FOX, he rarely holds back his opinion, no matter how critical he is. And his voice is even more valued in Detroit, where Spielman—a former Lions linebacker—remains especially attached. He works with their preseason broadcasts and even helps provide some weekly video content with DetroitLions.com’s Mike O’Hara.
On Tuesday, Spielman went to Twitter and talked extensively about his thoughts about the 3-7-1 Lions, specifically about his trust in head coach Matt Patricia and general manager Bob Quinn.
“There (sic) Defense hasn’t played well this year. There is no other explanation,” Spielman tweeted. “I just believe that MP BQ will get it done. I also think if you are changing philosophically I want type of team you want it may take more than 2 years to get that done.”
When confronted by Lions fans about Quinn’s poor drafting habits, here was Spielman’s answer:
Frank Ragnow is highly regarded in opposing Locker rooms same for Kenny Golladay Kerryon Johnson TJ Jalani Been some hits and some misses in his tenure. Just like 31 other teams. Results business. I get it . But blowing it up is Not the answer. https://t.co/yV3o4ScKF3— Chris Spielman (@chris_spielman) November 26, 2019
Spielman also defended owner Martha Ford in his series of tweets.
“Mrs Ford has made a game plan or a tackle in a long time. I now she wants to win as much as the players. Fact not just my opinion,” Spielman tweeted.
Head over to Spielman’s twitter account to see him express his thoughts on the Quandre Diggs trade, his thoughts on Michigan fans, and more.
- Barry Sanders congratulated Frank Gore in classy way this week, as Gore passed him on the all-time rushing yards list.
- Former Lions safety Quandre Diggs seems to be doing just fine in Seattle. And so is this other new guy they got:
One Seattle writer went as far as saying that Diggs “single-handedly makes the Seahawks a legit contender.”
- What was every team’s best and worst first-round draft pick of the decade? Dane Brugler of The Athletic (subscription required) listed his opinion for each team. He went with Ndamukong Suh as the Lions’ best first rounder of the past decade. You’ll have to click and subscribe for the worst.
- Kerryon Johnson’s recovery appears to be going along as planned:
Going well thank you for asking! https://t.co/GeUItjvJ8i— Kerryon Johnson (@AyeyoKEJO) November 27, 2019
- Devon Kennard is riding with Matt Patricia until the wheels come off. Sometimes the jokes write themselves.