Every now and then, it’s nice to get an outsider’s perspective of the Detroit Lions. No time is it more necessary than the offseason, since Kool Aid is overflowing in the streets of Detroit after their eventful free agency period.
And what better person to give us that perspective than our good friend Brian Phillips of Pats Pulpit. Not only does Brian give us the unique look at some of the former Patriots the Lions have signed over the past couple weeks, but Brian has also lived in Michigan and has a deep knowledge of all things Detroit Lions.
So this week he joins the PODcast crew to talk about all of the latest news from the Lions offseason and we even give him a chance to eulogize the career of Rob Gronkowski. After that, we move on to the latest moves from the Lions—including the signing of another former Patriots cornerback, and their miss on running back Malcolm Brown.
This week on the PODcast
- No soy fiesta: Gronk has retired and it’s only a matter of time before he invades every space of pop culture that isn’t sports.
- Snacks wants a raise. What should the Detroit Lions do? What if it means no more A’Shawn Robinson? The crew debates the merits of extending him or moving on.
- Rashaan Melvin: Will he be the Lions’ No. 2 cornerback? Is he good enough? Is he truly a better fit in Detroit rather than Oakland or is that just something optimistic people say?
- The Lions swung and missed on Rams running back Malcolm Brown, is that a big deal?
- Brian gives us his overall thoughts on how the Lions approached free agency vs. the Patriot way.
- Trey Flowers is good, y’all, and Brian explains why you’re going to quickly fall in love with him
- Mailbag talks about Taylor Decker’s future, NFL owner shenanigans, and AAF players the Lions could use.