The Kansas City Chiefs were one of the most exciting teams in the NFL last season. If not for an untimely offsides penalty, we may be referring to them as defending champions right now.
But they’re still expected to be contending this year. That offense isn’t going to be any less dynamic, the question is whether they can fix their issues on the other side of the ball.
In our Community Mock Draft, col.aureliano is tasked with picking for the Chiefs. With the 29th pick in the POD Community Mock, the Chiefs have selected Georgia cornerback Deandre Baker. Here’s col.aureliano with the explanation:
“I’m tasked with drafting to a roster with the No. 1 offense in the NFL with the No. 31 defense. Additionally, Dee Ford and Justin Houston have left via free agency. The need on the DL, particularly the end, is paramount. The problem is, all you punk GMs in front of me took what value there was along the line.
So, I looked to an almost equally needed position in CB. After going back and forth between Deandre Baker and Amani Oruwariye, I settled on the Georgia product. In the end, it actually became easy for me because “tape/stats don’t lie”.
Keys for the selection:
- He only allowed a single touchdown in four years!
- In 2018 he allowed 175 yards… for the season.
- In two years he had 84 tackles, 19 pass break ups and five interceptions.
- His senior year, he had a passer rating of 40.
- His passer rating against Alabama in the CFP his junior year was 3.1.
- Baker is PFF’s #1 rated CB in the class.
- He has versatility: He played outside on the left and the right; in the slot; in the box; and both man and zone.
- He isn’t afraid to tackle, and he does it well using both his body and his arms.
According to PFF:
- As a three-year starter he rated out at 93.5 (Murphy was 94).
- Against Power 5 he was 92.1
- In 2018, he lead the nation, allowing only .42 yards/coverage snap.
He succeeded, against top competition:
- He held Deebo Samuel to six catches for 32 yards this year.
- In the SEC title game, he held Jerry Jeudy (Biletnikoff winner) to three catches for 24 yards.
The production and fit were just too good. I believe Baker can be put in a position to succeed immediately and upgrade the defense.
What grade do you give the Deandre Baker pick?
This poll is closed