What’s better than a trade down in the NFL Draft?
Two trade downs!
That’s exactly what Benjamin Solak of The Draft Network proposed for the Detroit Lions in the site’s final mock draft of the season, released on Wednesday. First, the Lions traded down with the Bengals so that Cincinnati could grab the third quarterback off the board (Dwayne Haskins). Sitting at 11, the Lions then traded down again, this time with the ever-popular prediction of swapping picks with the Falcons at 14. Atlanta gets their guy in Ed Oliver, and the Lions still somehow manage to grab Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson.
Unfortunately, Solak doesn’t provide trade terms in his mock, so let’s break down what exactly that may look like.
A trade from eight to 11 is about the equivalent of a mid-to-late third-round pick. The Bengals only have a high third-round pick (72 overall), so let’s say Detroit picks that up, but sends their fourth (111) to Cincy, as well.
Dropping 11 to 14 requires identical compensation. Atlanta has a pick towards the middle of the third round (79), but that, too, would like require a little more kickback for that pick. The Lions’ fifth and first sixth-round pick should do it.
So in this scenario, here’s what the haul would look like:
- 2019 first-round pick (8)
- 2019 fourth-round pick (111)
- 2019 fifth-round pick (146)
- One 2019 sixth-round pick (184)
- T.J. Hockenson
- Bengals’ 2019 third-round pick (72)
- Falcons’ 2019 third-round pick (79)
They would have the following picks following the selection of Hockenson:
- Second round (43)
- Third round (72)
- Third round (79)
- Third round (88)
- Sixth round (204)
- Seventh round (224)
- Seventh round (229)
Would you pull the trigger?
- Detroit Free Press’ Dave Birkett is in Nashville talking to some members of the 2019 NFL Draft class. Birkett had an interesting conversation with Michigan linebacker Devin Bush, who said the Lions view him as a middle linebacker, should Detroit go in that direction. Birkett discusses what that means for Jarrad Davis.
- Kelly Stafford was back in the hospital on Wednesday, as she tries to cope with the pain of her brain surgery last week:
Kelly Stafford is back in the hospital after trying to manage her pain without medication or steroids. pic.twitter.com/XqrSZfZded— Pride of Detroit (@PrideOfDetroit) April 24, 2019
- Da’Shawn Hand and Zach Zenner talked about their very different draft day experiences on the latest episode of Tori Petry’s podcast.
- Another day, another NFL insider hearing rumors that the Lions may take a quarterback early in this year’s draft:
What I've heard in last 24 hours:— Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) April 24, 2019
Redskins moving up for Haskins
Redskins moving up for Jones
Giants moving up for Lock
Giants taking Jones at 17
Titans taking Lock
Bengals taking Haskins
Bengals not taking QB
Lions trade back and take QB
Predicting this draft pic.twitter.com/bN8wJ0CLwN
- The Detroit News’ Justin Rogers had an interesting conversation with former Lions coach Wayne Fontes about their decision to draft Barry Sanders 30 years ago.
- Happy Draft Eve! Here are a couple of normies trying to run the 20/40-yard dash: