The first round of the NFL Draft is over and now is the time for reactions and overreactions. The Detroit Lions selected T.J. Hockenson with the eighth overall pick, and that has certainly drawn a lot of different reactions, not only for the pick, but for who wasn’t the pick.
So the PODcast crew assembled late on Thursday night to address the pick, the biggest concerns fans have, and our own personal thoughts on the Lions’ first-round selection. We made sure to bring along Mansur Shaheen, who made a plea to the team on Thursday morning to draft Hockenson.
Need some convincing on your drive to work this morning? Don’t worry, this podcast just runs a hair over 20 minutes, and we cover just about everything there is to cover about Hockenson. Additionally, we get into some Day 2 option for the Lions, now that the second and third round are just around the corner.
This week on the PODcast
- Mansur does a victory lap for Hockenson, his preferred choice for the Lions’ first-round pick
- Jeremy addresses the three big concerns about the Hockenson pick:
- Was there a better player on the board for the Lions? Ed Oliver? Brian Burns?
- Did Bob Quinn make a mistake not moving down in the draft with offers on the board? Who could the Lions’ have gotten later in the round? What sort of value were trades down getting?
- The big question: Is a tight end worth a top-10 pick?
- Is the “safe” pick the right pick?
- The crew breaks down Day 2 options for the Lions. There are certainly a lot of good cornerbacks available. Should Detroit go up and get one or can they wait for one to fall?