While we here at Pride of Detroit have our own Community Mock Draft ongoing with our commenters, the mothership at SB Nation has their own mock currently crawling through the first round. Writers from each individual NFL SB Nation blog are making their picks, and it’s time for myself to represent the Detroit Lions and make my pick.
Here’s how the board has fallen for me thus far:
1. Arizona Cardinals — Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma
2. San Francisco 49ers — Nick Bosa, Edge rusher, Ohio State
3. New York Jets — Josh Allen, Edge rusher, Kentucky
4. Oakland Raiders — Quinnen Williams, DI, Alabama
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers — Ed Oliver, DL, Houston
6. New York Giants — Devin White, LB, LSU
7. Jacksonville Jaguars — Dwayne Haskins, QB, OSU
On one hand, it seems like the Lions were pretty fortunate to have two quarterbacks taken prior to their pick. However, that didn’t result in one of the top defensive prospects—Josh Allen, Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver—falling to Detroit. Four defensive linemen have already been taken, while those quarterbacks are the only offensive players off the boards.
That leaves me with a tough decision: Go offensive skill position and grab a top tight end or wide receiver? Or just grab one of the second-tier defenders and continue to bulk up the Lions’ front seven?
With the eighth overall pick pick in the SB Nation mock draft, I ended up choosing Florida State edge defender Brian Burns.
You can read my explanation here at SB Nation, or you can listen to myself, Ryan Mathews and Chris Perfett debate the pick in our short, mini-PODcast below (click here if you don’t see it).