The Detroit Lions begin Organized Team Activities next week, and while we tend to focus on positional battles in the scope of summer’s training camp, the competition really begins now. Entering Phase 3 of the offseason, players begin drills like 7-on-7s and 11-on-11s that actually resemble football.
The PODcast crew convened this week to talk about some of those upcoming positional battles. While there may not be as many starting jobs up for grabs this year, there are a ton of battles brewing near the bottom of the depth chart that could prove pivotal for the team’s overall depth.
Jeremy, Ryan and special guest Jerry Mallory break the roster competitions down, while touching on Ezekiel Ansah, Gunther Cunningham and contract extensions on this week’s episode of the PODcast!
Be sure to subscribe to our podcast on your favorite platforms. Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts| Spotify | Stitcher
This week on the PODcast
- Ezekiel Ansah signs with the Seahawks. Did they get a steal? Should the Lions have made a competitive offer?
- Remembering Gunther Cunningham: The crew shares their memories of the former Lions defensive coordinator.
- Camp battles!
- Who will be RB3? Is Theo Riddick on his way out?
- Who will be TE3? Is Michael Roberts on his way out?
- Could undrafted rookie Beau Benzschawel win the starting right guard job by the end of 2019?
- Rashaan Melvin vs. Amani Oruwariye vs. Teez Tabor(?)
- Who should be a priority extension this offseason: A’Shawn Robinson or Damon Harrison Sr.?
- Mailbag selects the best draft pick from the past five years, talks about Donald Parham’s surprising departure and debates which Detroiter could win a coney-eating contest.