We’ve raved about just how good the Detroit Lions’ rookie class was last year. Detroit got significant contributions from Frank Ragnow, Kerryon Johnson and Da’Shawn Hand. Meanwhile the rest of the picks—Tracy Walker, Tyrell Crosby and Nick Bawden—could all very well be contributors this year or, at the very least, depth.
However, none of these players—or any other Lions players—managed to make Pro Football Focus’ lists of the top 25 players under 25 years old.
While it’s a little odd not seeing a guy like Da’Shawn Hand on the list, especially considering he was PFF’s 13th-best interior defender last year and the highest-ranked rookie DT, it is a bit tough to see him unseating some of the players they picked instead. The defensive linemen that made the list include Yannick Ngakoue, Danielle Hunter, Joey Bosa, Myles Garrett and Kenny Clark.
The situation is similar at running back. Kerryon Johnson looked outstanding in his rookie season, but who would you knock off the list to put him on: Alvin Kamara? Kareem Hunt? Saquon Barkley?
The Lions have a lot of talented young players, but they probably have to display their skills for at least one more season before they start cracking lists like this.
- On Tuesday, the Lions announced sixth-round pick Travis Fulgham has signed his rookie contract. One more draft pick to go:
:— Detroit Lions (@Lions) May 14, 2019
✅ @lulalandpj pic.twitter.com/Hhu2RbtvEU
- If you didn’t catch Matt Patricia’s appearance on “Good Morning Football” Tuesday morning, you can catch the entire thing here.
- Lions tight end Jesse James showed some love for former teammate Ryan Shazier during his press conference on Tuesday. Shazier is the linebacker who suffered a serious back injury that ended his career in 2018. Earlier in the month, James attended Shazier’s wedding:
Jesse James rocking a Ryan Shazier shirt today. pic.twitter.com/nLHOQXL6EE— Chris Burke (@ChrisBurkeNFL) May 14, 2019
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press has an interesting story on Lions UDFA signing WR Tom Kennedy, whose origins come from lacrosse.
- Quandre Diggs is the freakin’ best:
#OnePride is Family!— Detroit Lions (@Lions) May 14, 2019
After losing her prized @qdiggs6 jersey in the recent flooding, it was only right to give @lmr88 a surprise that she'll never forget. pic.twitter.com/dwKbMkSRjs
- ESPN’s Matt Bowen thinks T.J. Hockenson was one of 15 drafted players who landed with the perfect team (ESPN Insider required).