Per Pro Football Focus, Flowers was the only edge defender last season with a grade of 80.0 higher and above in all four facets of the game, according to their system.
With a grade breakdown of:— PFF DET Lions (@PFF_Lions) June 8, 2019
88.5 run defense
80.6 pass rush
New #Lions Edge Trey Flowers (@III_Flowers) was the only edge in 2018 with an 80.0+ grade in all four facets of the game#OnePride
The Lions are hoping Flowers lives up to these grades after signing him to a hefty five-year, $90 million deal. He’s steadily improved throughout his career, finishing last year as one of five edge defenders to pass a 90.0 overall grade.
This morning, Flowers (and Damon Harrison Sr.) also made PFF’s list of top 50 players in the NFL entering the 2019 so far. They’ve announced numbers 50-31, and Nos. 30-21 will be revealed Tuesday, Nos. 20-11 Wednesday and Nos. 10-1 on Thursday.
From PFF”s Austin Gayle:
Flowers eats away at his good-not-great pass-rushing ability with his run defense and versatility, specifically his ability to rush the passer from ranging pre-snap alignments as mentioned above. He’s a movable chess piece with consistent, high-end play in several areas over the years, a piece that teams should and will jump to move into their system if given the opportunity this offseason.
- Three Lions made Sports Illustrated’s Andy Benoit’s “All-Slow Team,” a team made only of players whose 40-yard dash time at the NFL Combine was .05 seconds slower than the league average at their position.
- In an interview with Bleacher Reporter, former Lions receiver Nate Burleson defends Calvin Johnson in his situation with the Lions: “I agree with him 100 percent.”
- Per Good Morning Football/FoxSports.com’s Peter Schrager, former Lions GM Martin Mayhew is interviewing for the vacant GM position with the Texans after Brian Gaine was fired last week. The Lions went 41-79 during his time as GM from 2008-2015. Mayhew’s the second to interview for the gig, joining former Cleveland Browns GM Ray Farmer.
Martin Mayhew is in Houston to interview for the vacant Texans GM position, per sources. Mayhew is currently the 49ers Vice President of Player Personnel and a former GM of the Detroit Lions. Respected personnel man and former player. @nflnetwork @gmfb @NFLonFOX— Peter Schrager (@PSchrags) June 9, 2019
- Former Lions DC Gunther Cunningham, who died on May 11 at 72 years old, was one of two winners of the 2019 Paul “Dr. Z” Zimmerman Award by the Professional Football Writers of America (PFWA). He was the Lions’ defensive coordinator from 2009-13 and a senior defensive assistant 2014-16 for his final years in the NFL.
Former Lions DC Gunther Cunningham was one of two winners of the PFWA Dr. Z award for lifetime achievement for an assistant coach in football. Cunningham spent almost his whole career as an assistant or coordinator until moving to work at Pro Football... https://t.co/B8pqKOZGR2— Michael Rothstein (@mikerothstein) June 10, 2019
- This For The Win writer graded the Lions 2019 offseason, saying Detroit tried and failed to follow the Patriots blueprint.
- Rick Wagner ranked third among right tackle in PFF’s “clutch” grade.
View this post on Instagram
The rookie Smith makes three members of the Colts’ starting offensive line that ended up on the Clutch Team, surely making Andrew Luck a happy man. • Smith allowed five pressures on 128 pass-blocking snaps, and he finished the season with a 75.1 overall grade in clutch time — first among all qualifying right tackles. • • • #PFF2018ClutchTeamSeries #AFCsouth #colts #chiefs #lions
- Some insight from Mike O’Hara on rookie running back Ty Johnson, who’s been picking his teammates’ brains trying to improve. “Even talking to the offensive linemen – how the play’s going to be run, the concept. You have running backs talking to linemen, linemen talking to offensive linemen, being cohesive as a unit.”
- Annnnd some photos from Michigan International Speedway as Matt Patricia served as grand marshal for the FireKeepers Casino 400 Cup Series race. Red Wings legend Darren McCarty was the honorary pace car driver.