Following his visit to Allen Park, fans’ eyes and Lions media are on Lakers fan and former Michigan State Spartan Domata Peko to see what the nose tackle free agent does next. As pointed out by our own Hamza Baccouche yesterday, Detroit has hardly anything backing up Damon Harrison Sr. in the middle of the defensive line; signing Peko would plug that hole quite nicely. Chris Burke from The Athletic agrees:
Peko's last contract paid him was 2 years, $7.5 million. If the Lions can land him in the same ballpark, it might be worth it regardless of the Harrison situation.— Chris Burke (@ChrisBurkeNFL) June 20, 2019
NT options during OTAs/minicamp were A'Shawn, John Atkins and a bunch of guys who've never played an NFL snap. https://t.co/flwu7QvGUN
A reasonably-priced contract for proven veteran depth at the nose makes a lot of sense for the Lions, who have ample cap space to make moves. TMZ Sports (by way of Dave Birkett at the Detroit Free Press) hints that it might actually be a possibility:
Is the 34-year old Peko too old to contribute? PFF doesn’t think so.
Domata Peko Sr. earned two of his three highest graded seasons of his career each of the past two years in DEN— PFF DET Lions (@PFF_Lions) June 19, 2019
2017: 78.4 Overall (career-high)
2018: 74.3 Overall (3rd-highest of career)
Has played at least 350 snaps every year since 2006#OnePride https://t.co/0VfUm0aZuX
Hopefully we will know more about his status next week. Stay tuned.
- Saturday, 10 defensive backs may get a chance to learn how to do it like Big Play Slay on the field from the man himself:
High school or college it don’t matter.... pic.twitter.com/4ABs8DuYUv— Darius Slay (@_bigplayslay23) June 19, 2019
- Are the Lions too frugal for their own good? Former running back Reggie Bush thinks they are. Current Lion Darius Slay weighed in on the topic (hat tip to Lions Wire).
- Lions punt return dynamo Jamal Agnew had words of wisdom for the class of 2019 from the Detroit Lions Academy, whose graduation ceremony we mentioned in notes on Wednesday:
- Erik Schlitt from Lions Wire thinks fans ought to be paying more attention to the battle between Andy Jones and Travis Fulgham for the fifth wide receiver spot.
This is going to be a fun battle for WR5 https://t.co/06LFsTMSTg— Erik Schlitt (@erikschlitt) June 21, 2019
- Former Oklahoma Heisman winner and barbecue enthusiast Billy Sims turned up at fellow Sooner Baker Mayfield’s football camp looking super snazzy (h/t to Mike O’Hara):
Got to stop by Baker Mayfield's youth football camp earlier in Norman, OK and catch up with him and Barry Switzer. What a great turnout it was with all the dedicated kids. Did I mention it's hawaiian shirt— Billy Sims (@billysims1978) June 19, 2019
day? #Heisman #OU #Boomer pic.twitter.com/l38jP9ewOp