Everyone knows the Pride of Detroit staff has some of the most obsessive kicking game advocates among the SB Nation NFL team blogs. Usually we lead with something serious or detailed for our daily Notes roundup, but because I am one of the hardest of the hard core special teams nuts on the staff (Hamza Baccouche beats me on this count, though) and this item involves both kicking specialists, we’re going with this fun one.
Since signing with Detroit to stabilize a shaky field goal unit in 2014, Matt Prater has been a stone cold killer from long range. Although we were pretty sure we liked him right away, he has turned in year after year of amazing kicking. Who can forget this classic:
Prater: "I expect to make everything. They send me out there to make kicks, not attempt them."— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) November 6, 2016
Prater may not have many years left in the league ahead of him, but Lions fans will take what we can get. Gladly. On the punting side, there were questions about Sam Martin’s effectiveness after coming back from a lengthy injury in 2017. Turns out he’s still good, and to top it all off he is a really good guy. So there you have it - a pair of good guys, funny and down to earth and also really sharp dressed (according to former Lions WR Golden Tate) - could there be anything else to raise the hype meter?
#FunFactFriday: @Lions P Sam Martin (@SamMartin_6) & K Matt Prater (@MattPrater_5) are the only P/K combo in the League to each complete an @NFL pass.— Detroit Lions PR (@LionsPR) June 28, 2019
Martin is 2-of-2 passing for 27 yds. & a 118.7 rating.
Prater is 1-of-2 passing for 8 yds., 1 TD & a 100.0 rating.#OnePride pic.twitter.com/xJDYntTBXj
And now, on with the rest of the Notes.
- Fearless Leader Jeremy Reisman made a guest appearance on Big Blue View’s podcast Valentine’s Views:
- Chris Burke from The Athletic posted a bubble watch with a twist, identifying players on other teams who may benefit the Lions if they are cut by their current squads - but you’ll need a subscription to see who is on his list.
- Mike Renner from Pro Football Focus identified the most underrated players in the NFL at each position. Guess who he came up with at cornerback?
- Kerryon Johnson appreciates the majesty of Barry Sanders’ running style, but will stick to his own style on his path to join Barry in Lions lore:
Never gets old watching Barry Sanders highlights. And Kerryon Johnson’s comment is right on. https://t.co/4UXztjQUXR— Mike O'Hara (@MikeOHaraNFL) June 28, 2019
If i try to copy any of the above moves i will tear a lot of things in my body...everyone is different...definitely too superhuman https://t.co/JgXQrFkjl3— Kerryon Johnson (@AyeyoKEJO) June 28, 2019
- Kyle Meinke from mlive.com recounted a hilarious chance meeting with a Lions fan overseas. Worth the click. Promise.
- Tori Petry’s One Pridecast recapped the offseason and featured a closer look at veteran WR acquisition Danny Amendola.
- Our managing editor has really been making the rounds and also guest appeared on the Lions Wire podcast Detroit Lions Breakdown. We know you want more of Jeremy’s velvety voice, so get your fix here: